Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Deeeluxe Pre-War Synchro, Take 2 (with GDP server behavior content)

KC Eddie's thread on a pre-war Synchromatic on Reverb won't let me post to it. I've tried many times in different ways, and all I get is an error message from Safari that the server has dropped the connection, it may be busy, try again later, etc.

Once that happens, I get the message from ANY GDP page I try to bring up - though I can go anywhere else on the innerwebs - until I quit and restart Safari.

Ed used the term "s e x y" in his thread name (which I've spaced out in case the GDP has been to Prudery School and blocks access to any material using such strong language), so I used a different term in my title. (I don't really believe this theory, but I'm taking no chances.)

And since sometimes stray invisible characters (or other artifacts) can cause blocks of text to interfere with program operation, rather than copying and pasting Ed's text from the other thread, I herewith type it in fresh. (Thanks for not posting in Protean length, Ed.)

Ed said:

Wow. Do you see that? Nothing Ed said even shows up in my post, nor the link. I used the "quote-somebody" character before his words, to differentiate them from mine. On the theory that something went awry with that process, I hereby italicize the Edwords instead...

This one came up on Reverb recently... looks squeaky clean (too much so?). Has all the cool features! Probably over-priced.

https://reverb.com/item/210...

So. That worked. I herewith append the Protea with which I was attempting to respond last night, and if THAT works...maybe this topic will be open for discussion.

Man! Gretsch was proud. That's some deluxe right there. You could only have toted it around in a '41 Cadillac Sixty Special. Nothing else would be both luxe and bold enough.

The binding! Holy tiger stripe, Batman.

The mismatch between the maple pieces of the back is odd, though. Like they had two spectacular pieces that didn't really match visually, but what the heck - it makes it unique.

It does look beyond clean and pristine for its years - but would anyone bother to fake one? And how would you even do it? Are you thinking it's had some undisclosed restoration or part replacement? (The tailpiece looks almost too good to be true.) It annoys hell out of me when people list high end and unique guitars with about as much detail and story as you'd get buying a used vacuum cleaner on Craigslist.

I guess if I was well-enough heeled that 8,700.00 could be an impulse buy, I'd have the impulse to buy it for sure. But if I had the ready to spend like that, I'm guessing the price would negotiate down significantly.

Whew... I was thinking that maybe you guys just didn’t like me anymore! Thanks to Proteus it appears that it was simply something I said (in the aforementioned post). That happens to me a lot on dates too... I mumble something about the appearance of the gal and then... crickets.

The Synchro from the offending post really does appear to be a time capsule. I don’t have the chops to show up in public with an axe of that elegance, so that will save me from stressing over the asking price.

PS - Thanks for the troubleshooting efforts Proteus! I’ll never use the “S” word again!

Unreal,what a stunner!

Proof surely ,that someone somewhere has a time machine!

On second look, the stinger is a different wood. A cap of sorts. Not sure I have seen this on a synchro before. We did see a few 50s guitars with similar overlays. The were painted guitars though.

I have the same issue in trying to post to Ed's thread.

I ran across this ad months ago when it didn't sell - no surprise at that price! Aside from the cats-eyes vs f-holes, this is identical to my '41 Synchro. These are terrific guitars and while I'd like to see another one into our fold, I can't see it happening at this price. This is vintage Gent, 6120 or nice CC territory and can't see anyone shelling out that much for one of these.

The [single] stinger on mine, essentially the identical guitar, is wood, not painted on and is either mahogany or rosewood. It isn't shallow either as it runs up the center of the neck and across the full thickness of the headstock to the tort binding. The neck on mine is fully laminated.

The back on mine is book-matched tiger striped maple whereas this guitar isn't. Too bad as it should have been.

What is a "patent applied for" bridge?? To my knowledge there's no such thing for this rosewood bridge/base. To me, this one looks like the reissues as it has square corners all over and mine and others from that era I've seen have the edges rounded off.

There's nothing that I don't like on that guitar! Beauty!

I gave up trying to comment on the original thread as well. I don’t know anything about the guitar or price and have nfi, but Neal is a decent guy who has been to a few NJ and Balto-DC roundups. Perhaps he is a bit optimistic, but that thing is gorgeous!

What is a "patent applied for" bridge?? To my knowledge there's no such thing for this rosewood bridge/base. To me, this one looks like the reissues as it has square corners all over and mine and others from that era I've seen have the edges rounded off.

– Windsordave

I have no reason to think that this is a reissue? No real playing wear on my 48. Is there any other way to find out? Original photos perhaps from that era?

On guitar, the tailpiece hinge plate is stamped 'patent apr for' which is what they could've been referring to; these wooden bridges never have a stamp and ads don't reference every patent on the guitar.

The seller is just dreaming or smokin' somethin' thinking his price is even worthy of negotiating. It could be dead original in fantastic condition but it still isn't worth even close to half his asking price. It's a model 160, not a 400 after all. They're rare for sure but not to the degree of the 2 thru 400's. I wish they were! The 100 & 160 are the only models I've seen from this general era with the natural finish and full tort binding & multi-bound pickguard.

I think Grover had the patent for that tailpiece for a while as I've seen them stamped that way on some '30's Gretsch models. I've seen some late '50's/early 60's space cadet bridges with a patent # on the ebony bases. If the Custom Shop could come up with that tiger-stripe tortoiseshell binding I would have to sell a kidney.

Note that the serial number of the guitar versus the language on the facsimiie Gretsch Guarantee paperwork about Gretsch having been in business for 66 years. Suggests the paperwork is from about 1949 while the guitar is 1941 ish

Oh my, That's special and I'm not worthy!

I think Grover had the patent for that tailpiece for a while as I've seen them stamped that way on some '30's Gretsch models. I've seen some late '50's/early 60's space cadet bridges with a patent # on the ebony bases. If the Custom Shop could come up with that tiger-stripe tortoiseshell binding I would have to sell a kidney.

– lx

I hear you on the binding, lx. I play my Synchro every day and it sits in the chair beside me where I grab it to noodle while watching TV. I marvel every day on that binding! A couple of years ago Gretsch used a tort binding on that limited run of ivory Duane 6120 but it was quite dark and looked black for the most part, whereas the tort on mine, Rob's and this one has tremendous fire in it. Why in this day and age where it's possible to recreate [almost] anything, the old binding hasn't been reproduced? They make it for pickguards so why not binding?

Interesting regarding patent # stamped into an ebony base.

Ed used the term "s e x y" in his thread name (which I've spaced out in case the GDP has been to Prudery School and blocks access to any material using such strong language), so I used a different term in my title. (I don't really believe this theory, but I'm taking no chances.)

Actually, your theory is completely accurate. There's a check at the server level for that word (and a few others) not as a values judgement, but because they're frequently used by spammers. That said, it's a terrible check that fails in awful ways and doesn't really do anything about spammers, either. I need to get rid of it when we move to the new server.

Actually, your theory is completely accurate. There's a check at the server level for that word (and a few others) not as a values judgement, but because they're frequently used by spammers. That said, it's a terrible check that fails in awful ways and doesn't really do anything about spammers, either. I need to get rid of it when we move to the new server.

– Baxter

And replace it with "smurfy".

I tried to delete the offending thread... but it’s still there(?).

I tried to delete the offending thread... but it’s still there(?).

– kc_eddie_b

Did you try to edit the thread title? You can do that by going into edit mode on the first post.

Register Sign in to join the conversation