Vintage Gretsch Guitars

decent deal @ Blackrider?

I agree and speaking of getting it right Joe, why didn't they add the appropriate control knobs to this mod?? [Badly] adding an extra pup hasn't added any value here. Improper placement has lessened it's value.

That is truly on of the ugliest Gretsch guitars I've ever seen.

But if there aren't any hidden surprises (sawn-through braces, cracks or holes in the body), this ugly can be fixed.

If the body is sound under that cwazy respway, and it plays and doesn't need a neck reset or complete fret job, it might be a good starting place. The bridge pup placement isn't ideal, but we've seen factory Gretschs with them in that general location. Considering the finish work that needs done to keep it from scaring you at night, it'll need a complete refin in your choice of color. (I think the good ship Vintage Authenticity has already sailed, so make it what you want.) You could move the pickup then, if you were up for (or could pay for) the surgery.

I'd add a Bigsby, but that's personal choice.

The pictures are not only few, they're small - but it looks like it may have at least an intermediate case of binding rot, which never has a spontaneous remission. So there's a another grand.

When you're done - unless you do the work yourself - you'd likely have something like 2k in the project. Then the guitar - to sell - might be worth...1,800.00 or so. If it ends up a monster player, you might not care what it's "worth." You're a notorious flipper, though, so maybe market value does matter. On the other hand, you do things exactly as you want them even if it's not always fiscally prudent (and I admire you for it). So you know what you're getting into.

If you can talk him down to, like, nothing, you could break even.

He should have just kept spraying with that black. Wildeman

Ok, I guess the answer is in! If they were period Filtertrons, then a certain value to having those.

I agree and speaking of getting it right Joe, why didn't they add the appropriate control knobs to this mod??

That part I do get. It's hotrod wiring - pickup selector and master volume only. The lack of the extra pots in the circuit yields a slightly higher output and brightness.

I agree and speaking of getting it right Joe, why didn't they add the appropriate control knobs to this mod??

That part I do get. It's hotrod wiring - pickup selector and master volume only. The lack of the extra pots in the circuit yields a slightly higher output and brightness.

– Afire

Yep, while I'm a traditionalist in liking the tone switch circuit with Filters, I do like the "Hot Rod" circuit.

IMO, everyone that has multiple Gretsches, should have one Hot Rod in the line up.

Simple and pure, with that little extra volume that Afire mentioned.

Ok, I guess the answer is in! If they were period Filtertrons, then a certain value to having those.

– DCBirdMan

Filters it has... trestle bracing it does not. To me, that limits it's intrigue.

That may be its original finish; here's another '66 that's not too far from this one. Could be a great player with the hot rod wiring, but yeah, homely.

– lx

The difference between the burst on the front versus the back is almost 2” or more. IMO it’s been respayed. The pic also looks like it has orange peel that has not been sanded and polished enough yet. Again, just my opinion.

Yes, the back colors look pretty normal for Gretsch. But the front black coverage is very unusual. Maybe it was a Custom Shop model.

Register Sign in to join the conversation