Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Cover your eyes, this might hurt…

That was scary. I'm thinking we've seen this one before. There's so much wrong going on there.

I never ever say this.

LOL

The price is insane as well considering that there aren't too many parts worth stripping off of this hulk.

Bet that guy could never even say, "Seemed like a good idea at the time."

Wish I would have taken the warning and never even seen this sad thing.

What a bargain at only 60 quid shipping too.

Good price for a BC Rich prototype!

You give 1,000 monkeys 1,000 bandsaws and 1,000 days and what do you get?

Probably something better'n that!!

Maybe he should have tried for a Bo Diddley conversion...... Would have been easier than trying that brutal curved cut......

Can you imagine the wiggling worms in the guys brain as he turned on the band saw???

Can you imagine the wiggling worms in the guys brain as he turned on the band saw???

– Parralax View

No.

Kill it with fire. Viking funeral is the only way to save that poor beast.

There's pitiful and then there's this poor creature.

Let it be recorded that this is the day in GDP History that Tim LOL’ed.

And I kinda meant it. A term that's beneath dignity for a guitar that didn't have much when it was new, and then had it sucked into negative territory by an apparently broke would-be shredder sometime in the 80s (please let it have happened then). (To be fair, at that time the Gretsch was its deepest nadir in value, and has it occurred to anyone it might have been BCRichitized as a 16-year-old's revenge on the relative who foisted a HILO GRETSCH on him when it was the furthest POSSIBLE thing from the music which inspired him to play, and with every chonk of the hacksaw he was going "this is NOT my father's guitar"?

Actually, all things considered - assuming the neck is stable and the bridge is in the right place - the guitar might be more widely useful in this hideous form than it was when it was a brittle twinkling Hiloverating thing.

Just one of the gods' unfortunates, born to little and long ago maimed. It's a little sad, but in the scheme of things not a great loss. It also looks like it got plenty of use in its crippled condition, as if its mahogany slab spirit had been set free. Maybe there was redemption in its hellish afterlife. Don't let it ruin your day. Move along.

But "BCOL" would have been more accurate. A brief chuckle outloud is really all it got.

I find it oddly not hideous. Obviously the execution is amateurish, to say the least. But somehow that silhouette has a surprising gracefulness, considering how it came to be. If I didn't know it started life as an Astro Jet, and the finish and hardware treatment was more in the Alembic/early B.C. Rich vein, I probably wouldn't find it objectionable at all, though certainly not suited to my tastes.

But "BCOL" would have been more accurate. A brief chuckle outloud is really all it got. Proteus

And here I thought that BCOL would stand for butt clench out loud.

AstroJets were among the first Gretsches with Supertrons (not HiLos) and the first all Supertron guitar. And they are a very heavy guitar -- more than a Lester -- so maybe the young shredder/bandsaw maniac had base ergonomics in mind.

Perhaps a really rich guy could buy this poor thing and swap out the neck with this pricey Stern version of an AstroJet (with a Van Epps neck) you might have something going on -- for the price of three vintage AstroJets.

Looks like somebody took a BIG bite out of it...or they have some serious termites there...!

To quote my little old Austrian grandmother, "I-yi-yi-yi-yi! Da tings dey doing nowadays!"

AstroJets were among the first Gretsches with Supertrons (not HiLos) and the first all Supertron guitar.

I stand corrected. I confused the AJ with the Corvette and Princesseseses.

I still think the black beast isn't much uglier than a stock AJet. Some of the lines are an improvement.

Ouch! Gotta be a British thing. Sad thing is he wants £786. Pretty much worthless at this point.

This doesn't bother me so much as the hack of Mike Bloomfield's Telecaster. Mike's playing was real awakening for me. It changed everything.

Lee

Register Sign in to join the conversation