Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Country Gent covered in abalone

ok so the :24 second mark of this video Bill has a very unique gretsch in his hand. I have never even seen him play a gretsch before.

what do you all think?

I think this is living history. Thanks for posting. When Mitch Holder says, “You're among the cats.”

Love Bill. Saw him a handful of times back in the 90's. Among them, I saw him w/ Zorn's Naked City which I am very fortunate for!

I've never seen him with a Gretsch either though I've seen some recent footage of him with some very nice acoustic archtops. Don't think I'd have noticed the abalone if you didn't point it out. Had to blow it up on YouTube. Wow! ...and the faux f-holes too. Wonder if it's his?

Cool video clip! ...may have to get that album.

My only complaint is that it's too short. I could listen to those guy's stories all night. Thanks!

Thank you so much for posting. It is history and it is too short. Wow. Moon River and Audrey. "Tapestry of Music all around us." Perfect.

The Gretsch seems to be one of the later (V-cut Bigsby) thinner single-cut Country Gents with: horseshoe headstock, sparkle f-holes (which Billy Zoom's Country Gent needs) and it looks like sparkle/abalone binding. If not factory then still cool looking.

And 21 frets! Something is fishy Maybe a club neck? Body looks deeper than 2 1/4”, possibly a modern Gretsch?

so nobody has a clue?~!?

As lx spotted it seems to have sparkle binding. And not only this. The faux f-holes are sparkle too. Look:

Maybe a Stephen Stern creation.

I’m checking into it. : )

The '58 Country Gentleman and Prototype in Ed's '50's book has 21 frets.

Thank you so much for posting. It is history and it is too short. Wow. Moon River and Audrey. "Tapestry of Music all around us." Perfect.

The Gretsch seems to be one of the later (V-cut Bigsby) thinner single-cut Country Gents with: horseshoe headstock, sparkle f-holes (which Billy Zoom's Country Gent needs) and it looks like sparkle/abalone binding. If not factory then still cool looking.

– lx

Don't think it's abalone but rather sparkle. The sparkle f-holes had to have been ordered by another person who isn't a fan of black faux f-holes against a dark background.

The '58 Country Gentleman and Prototype in Ed's '50's book has 21 frets.

– lx

My old early production Gent, #26405, had 21 frets.

I saw a Duo Jet at the Hollywood Guitar Center around 15 years ago that had sparkle or abalone binding just like this. This was before Stern's creations so I always wondered what it was, this ring a bell with anyone?

Register Sign in to join the conversation