Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Country Club Variations

JCHiggy, thank you for the information. When I bought the guitar, around 1990, they told me the colour was named walnut. So it is possible for me to learn something new.

Pretty impressive collection Ralf!

I believe your 1977 7577 is Antique Maple.

My uncle had a walnut 78 Club and it was very dark,just like this one.

– JCHiggy

Nice clean design JC. Change out the chessey knobs for G-Arrow chromes and you're set.

The 1962. I forget what the pot codes are. But has Trestle Bracing, thin body like the Electrotones. Lots of sustain. I pulled the original pickups and installed a set of the Ray Butts. Sounds amazing. Killer with a JangleBox mini and a Marshall 18 watt amp/alnico Celestion speaker that's actually older than the guitar..

Early 1964. Pots have date code of the second week of February.. just about the time The Beatles landed...lol. Thin body, No Trestle bracing..I pulled the pickups in this one as well.. TV Jones SuperTron in the neck and a Brian Setzer Signature in the bridge. wide neck: 1.72" at the nut and 2.12" at the 12th fret. They should all play like this one!!

Hey Don... what's with the B7 on the '64 Club? Was that by necessity (break angle), aesthetics, or convenience (you already had the Bigsby)?

Its funny, I was just looking at this, seems high, but it fits right in here--- Gorgeous Guitars Ralf

Link

Hey Don... what's with the B7 on the '64 Club? Was that by necessity (break angle), aesthetics, or convenience (you already had the Bigsby)?

– kc_eddie_b

Ed; Yeah, unfortunately it has a shallow break angle. I tried the old one on it first. But I have since found a few tricks and I'm going to try a regular B-6 Gretsch/Bigsby soon. If you drill a hole through the bottom of the spring plate it will secure the Bigsby to the top/brace. The B-6 was almost floating from the string tension and it sounded awful/no sustain because of the lack of tension on the bridge. I just hate the holes in the top that the B-7's leave..(snakebites).

I had forgotten about this... but if we're discussing Country Club variations, specifically '62 model year examples THIS one must be recognized as... a unicorn?

http://www.garysguitars.com...

Massive triple take on this one.

Late 1953 production, fourth one in first production run. Originally had G cutout tailpiece (in case), Melita bridge, open back Waverly tuners. Smooth top barrel knobs. Now has Grover Imperial tuners, G6 Bigsby, extra tone knob, replacement repro pick guard, Wilkinson 10-way adjustable roller bridge, repro knobs in this shot, originals in case (smooth top barrel knobs, only year with smooth top knobs. The bridge works great with the Bigsby, stays in tune the whole set even with heavy use of the Bigsby. These bridges need to have the adjustment screws tightened securely or the sustain will disappear. When all is tight the bridge acts as one heavy piece of metal and gives superb sustain.

I'm a little ignorant about trestle bracing as I was never a fan, thus i've never had it or researched it much. Did the 58 country clubs have trestle bracing and was it the full trestle bracing?

I'm a little ignorant about trestle bracing as I was never a fan, thus i've never had it or researched it much. Did the 58 country clubs have trestle bracing and was it the full trestle bracing?

– Toxophilite

Heavy trestles on my blonde '58 CC.

– Toxophilite

The '58 6120 I saw #26593 came with the odd proto-trestles; IIRC you said you ran across a 6189 Filter Streamliner with the same set-up?

It was a 57 streamliner with a pre paf filtertron in the neck position and what looked like 2 thin slabs of mahogany on either side of the pickup route under the braces, maybe 1/4" wide and about 3" lengthwise joining the top and back. It was late last year.

Register Sign in to join the conversation