Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Cool 70’s Country Gent

Being a Jan '72 build, this is one of the last batch that hadn't fully switched over to all Baldwin features. Notice it has the ridiculous combination of snaps on the back but no cut out.

Even with the exchange rate its a tad pricey IMO, considering shipping, decent condition notwithstanding.

Agreed. I think I'd be a buyer in the $2500-$2700 range. The back pads don't really bother me either way.

Those cool f holes were not standard but it certainly could be a custom factory job.

Nice guitar but optimistically priced imo.

Converting it from Canadian to US, you're looking at around $2675. Top dollar for sure...

Some fellow living near me has had this one listed on Craig's for a while;

'73 Country Gentleman

The binding seems really fine for being almost 50. And it includes the original hardware, if you want to go factory authentic.

Those cool f holes were not standard but it certainly could be a custom factory job.

– lx

There's a body of evidence that in the Brooklyn era, if you requested open f-holes, you got the standard oversized ones even though the inlaid/painted ones were the smaller Gibson style.

The thing that gives me a little pause is that they seem positioned a little farther north than you'd expect. Normally the points of the f-hole should line up pretty closely with the bridge. But, if it was a custom order, that may account for being a little bit wonkier than usual.

Register Sign in to join the conversation