Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Cool ‘58 Caddy Green Club

NFI.

Really sweet from the second batch of Filter Clubs. Blank top Filtertrons with thick surrounds and check out the very transitional pickguard: the neck routing is for a Filtertron and the bridge routing is for a Dynasonic. The matching green strap almost looks like a Gretsch one, but I can't tell for sure. Yum.

What’s with all the tailpiece options?! That guy was fickle!

Is the tuner screw still in the headstock ?

It is a beautiful guitar but sn't it kind of overpriced? And the guy doesn't even have it strung up? I can't agree with the, 'it's so precious it can't even be touched" hooey. It's a plywood gretsch not a handmade D'angelico or the Shroud of Turin. The guy should be in religion not guitar sales.Yeesh! HE should give it to me though, It shares all the transitional features of the 58 club I sold a couple years back. Nice guitar , but HEAVY! I wouldn't mind that it was a beautiful green.

I think I'm channeling Windsor Dave except I forgot to say 'turd'

That’s the second 58 6196 I’ve seen since I bought mine in ‘78. The other one had a broken headstock and stereo pickups. My bridge pickup is about 1/4” south of where that one sits. Beautiful guitar and a rare bird.

They are heavy. I have your old 1958 CC SN 27415. Found a vintage G tailpiece and vintage gold tuner buttons. So it's pretty close to stock again. The one on reverb is SN 27444. Does seem pricey. But a 6120 would fetch that easily and the CC and 6120 are not much different

I’ve been offered 2X as the one listed, it’s all about supply and demand as very few Cadillac green were built in 58. If someone wants the one listed they’re going to pay. The weight thing is an interesting conversation. I’ve added trestle systems to guitars, the parts combined weigh 6 ounces plus glue.

I’ve been offered 2X as the one listed, it’s all about supply and demand as very few Cadillac green were built in 58. If someone wants the one listed they’re going to pay. The weight thing is an interesting conversation. I’ve added trestle systems to guitars, the parts combined weigh 6 ounces plus glue.

– Curt Wilson

Yeah... I think the term "heavy trestle bracing" (versus light) has gotten in our collective consciousness and our brains suddenly feel like a 1958 Gretsch has to weight 2 or 3 pounds more as a result.

One of the best things that made Gretsch Gretsch back in the day was every guitar was different, neck, pickup placement, neck angle and over all playability. By some crazy force a country club was sent from Texas which was the next consecutive serial number to my 6196. Very close build but different and it had significant binding rot which mine has been saved so far.

Check out where the bridge pickup is located.

And here are the two with consecutive serial numbers. https://www.oldschoolguitar...

Curt is right, every gretsch guitar is a prototyp. Here´s another sunburst CC from 1958 for comparison, serial number 27 460. I don´t know, if the Melita bridge is orignal.

All of these are pretty much up my alley, due to the chunkier necks the 50s Country Clubs have. Unfortunately, they cost way more than I can afford. Oh, well.

that blonde looks awesome

mine is 8.2 pounds. Maybe its the large size body, big neck that make it seem heavy

Yeah... I think the term "heavy trestle bracing" (versus light) has gotten in our collective consciousness and our brains suddenly feel like a 1958 Gretsch has to weight 2 or 3 pounds more as a result.

– kc_eddie_b

I beg to differ. My 58 club was heavier than my deluxe chet which is a heavy guitar and made My Tennessean and convertible( 2 pickups) seem like feather weights. Nothing to do with my perception of trestles or the names they are given. Just actual weight as felt and shown a scale. My deluxe Chet doesn’t have trestles and it’s clearly heavier than the others though lighter than the club if I recall.

They are heavy. I have your old 1958 CC SN 27415. Found a vintage G tailpiece and vintage gold tuner buttons. So it's pretty close to stock again. The one on reverb is SN 27444. Does seem pricey. But a 6120 would fetch that easily and the CC and 6120 are not much different

– jps1965

Is that the one with a slice in back? If yes, I was going to bid on it but wimped out for CITES concerns. Looks like a beauty. Congrats

Here's the '58 I sold last year for much less than in the ad. It was a heavy guitar, no doubt.

– jps1965

Cool! It's still alive, well and enjoyed. I hope it's treating you well.

Is that the one with a slice in back? If yes, I was going to bid on it but wimped out for CITES concerns. Looks like a beauty. Congrats

– Baba Joe

That's the one. Toxo priced it right. So the CITES and sales taxes weren't too much of a punch in the gut

Register Sign in to join the conversation