Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Clean Little Princess

Sweet. Could it be faded pink? I think some were white, but not seen a color like this.

I'd get it...

That's lovely. I didn't know these had the back pad.

That's lovely. I didn't know these had the back pad.

– Suprdave

Once he got the patent for them, Jimmy Webster was slapping them on whatever he could get away with. Early double-cut Jets -- especially with sparkle finishes, Princesses, and a few double cut 6120s without the mutes. Originally the pads were there to cover the monster hole in the backs needed to place the mute levers. According to Dan Duffy -- Gretsch's QC guy from '57 to '70 -- Webster went kind of nuts on the concept and actually had a couple of padded guitars made, none of which have turned up.

That one is really nice.

My '62 is pink but aged to a beautiful creme.

Her flashy back pad

That one is really nice.

My '62 is pink but aged to a beautiful creme.

– Setzer

I've always thought a great two-tone color scheme would be a creme just like this on the front and metallic oxblood on the back and sides. Does yours also have the Waverly tuners?

These models reflect the rare application of gold plated Hilotrons.

Yeah and one is slightly bent. I dare not try to straighten it

And the HiLo sounds great

These models reflect the rare application of gold plated Hilotrons.

– kc_eddie_b

You find them on a fair amount of '59 Clippers. If you see a gold surround on a Clipper chances are the HiLo is also gold plated but usually worn down to "almost" chrome/nickel. Also check for gold polepieces. But only on '59s.

Yeah and one is slightly bent. I dare not try to straighten it

And the HiLo sounds great

– Setzer

The original owner put a set of gold plated Waverlys on my '59 Clipper and they work, look and feel way better than the Klusons that were originally on it. Got a slightly bent tuner too and I'm not messing with it.

I guess none of them stayed pink tho.

I had a friend with one in typical somewhat beat up condition that his mother left him. It played fine. He asked me if I wanted to buy it but I wasn't interested. He asked me what price it would be worth and I looked on Ebay and determined it to be worth $900 in actual money. He took it to Guitar Center and they offered him $1,000 plus $200 store credit and he took it. It stayed on the wall there for 2 or 3 years priced at $1500....Then it was gone. I don't know what happened with it. Those specialized one-pickup Corvettes like the Twist or Princess seem to sell in the high 3 figures when you look at real money changing hands..

Amazing condition. For some reason, however, I thought that the Princess had some very light metal flakes in the finish.

Amazing condition. For some reason, however, I thought that the Princess had some very light metal flakes in the finish.

– Ric12string

You may be confusing these with the Silver Duke models.

Was there ever really a "Gold Duke"?.... or were those just Silver Dukes that yellowed over time?

You find them on a fair amount of '59 Clippers. If you see a gold surround on a Clipper chances are the HiLo is also gold plated but usually worn down to "almost" chrome/nickel. Also check for gold polepieces. But only on '59s.

– lx

Yes... the first groups of '59 Clippers had that soap-bar looking "transitional" pickup, but you're correct some later batches did in fact have gold Hilo's. It just seems that the application of a Hilotron helps define the mid-lower range within the Gretsch product line. That fact, usually flies in the face of gold-plated hardware common to higher-end Gretsch models.

You may be confusing these with the Silver Duke models.

– kc_eddie_b

Yep, Ed, that is what I was thinking of. Thank you, sir.

Was there ever really a "Gold Duke"?.... or were those just Silver Dukes that yellowed over time?

– guitarcapo

There's a picture of a Gold Duke in the first Bacon & Day book, but IIRC Ed said this was the only one to turn up.

I guess none of them stayed pink tho.

– DCBirdMan

DC, I guess the chances are pretty slim. They've probably aged like mine.

kc_eddie_b don't forget that the Sal Salvador's after about 1960 had gold-plated Hi Lo 'Trons and that wasn't exactly a mid-range model. In fact, there was recently on Reverb a Sal Salvador HiLo 'Tron rig of pickup, pickguard and brackets for sale. I think it was about $300 or so but I could be wrong about that price

kc_eddie_b don't forget that the Sal Salvador's after about 1960 had gold-plated Hi Lo 'Trons and that wasn't exactly a mid-range model. In fact, there was recently on Reverb a Sal Salvador HiLo 'Tron rig of pickup, pickguard and brackets for sale. I think it was about $300 or so but I could be wrong about that price

– ewkewk

Correct... and that's my point. The Sal Salvador was an upper-end model, so seeing a Hilo on it is atypical.

There's a picture of a Gold Duke in the first Bacon & Day book, but IIRC Ed said this was the only one to turn up.

– lx

I'm still not convinced that the "one" Gold Duke that's surfaced isn't just a yellowed Silver Duke. But... with Gretsch I've earned to remain open-minded.

Register Sign in to join the conversation