Vintage Gretsch Guitars

CL Gent alert

Good time to buy, not to sell.

When I see something as glaring as the mute missing but not mentioned it touches credibility.

-Van Gent tuners on a GC? Surely possible, especially in the 70s but the first time I've seen a mid 60s model with them.

• I see something binding rot line on the heel cover; or is it my bad eyes?

--Does the Bigsby seem a bit brighter than the knobs and other gold hardware?

sharp eyes; going to have look closer now.

I'm not trolling for one but am watching a few Tenneseans...

When I see something as glaring as the mute missing but not mentioned it touches credibility.

-Van Gent tuners on a GC? Surely possible, especially in the 70s but the first time I've seen a mid 60s model with them.

• I see something binding rot line on the heel cover; or is it my bad eyes?

--Does the Bigsby seem a bit brighter than the knobs and other gold hardware?

– knavel

I agree with all your assertions Knavel. That Bigsby can't possibly be original, being that shiny. The missing [single] mute - I'm thinking mid/late '60's - begs the question, is the rest of the mute system functionable? The post is visible but the seller says "all original" and it clearly isn't with the mute missing and the Bigsby not an original. I question that splotch on the heel cap too. If that's all the rot present, then a simple replacement would do the trick.

Good eye, Knavel. Anybody considering buying should ask for more pics of the binding and back of headstock; also if the pins on the Bigsby can be taken out with an Allan key.

I've seen gold Van Ghent machines on '60s Country Gents, rosewood fingerboards, too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation