Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Chet Atkins “Me and My Guitars”

I have learned a LOT from not just listening to music but looking at pictures and of course reading a lot on a particular subject. Subject being Chet Atkins. I refer you to page 89 of MAMG book where there is a beautiful picture of Chet's legendary '59 Country Gentleman and Standel amp. If you will look very closely at the guitar just south of the zero fret there appears to be some kind'a little doo-hickey on the third string. Maybe an additional compensating "zero fret"? What iz zat? I also notice a couple of nasty screw holes just in front of the Bigsby string pins. Maybe from the special setup for the Octabass equipment. Just wondering if anybody noticed these things and knows what they are. Thanks, Steve

Just got this book -- love it and all the info it has. Astute types will also note what seem to be Baldwin knobs on this Gent. I am still insane on the Gent 12 shown on pg. 93.

Her ya go DCBirdman... I've been meaning to post this photo since you first mentioned your current lust for the Chet 12-string Gent. Here's The Man with that very guitar!

Chet has to use both hands to keep that 12-stringer from neck diving!

Has the book been re-issued?

Her ya go DCBirdman... I've been meaning to post this photo since you first mentioned your current lust for the Chet 12-string Gent. Here's The Man with that very guitar!

– kc_eddie_b

So even tho he never recorded with it, it stayed in his collection -- since this is the more elder Chet. And although buried here from like 8 years ago is a similar home pix of a kid with the Harrison single cut 12. Same wide neck

Steve, the "doo-hickey" under the third string is a separate nut for that string. It provides some nut compensation for that string so the guitar will play with better intonation. The holes in the top have been discussed before, here and on the Chetboard: Chet told me that he had "a fellow put some pedals" on his guitar, but I didn't get any specifics. Paul Yandell opined that it was some sort of B-bender.

Register Sign in to join the conversation