Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Chet Atkins Country Gent - brass name plate

JBJ… if you did I failed to file it anywhere. It's news to me now. Anyone ever post a photo of these scribed numbers?

I've mentioned my concerns to the shop. They know the previous owner so maybe there's a plausible explanation. I'd agree that's there is a degree of leverage but it's new in the shop so I'd doubt they would reduce the price to the level I'd be comfortable at, probably 30 percent less, which will be most of their profit probably!

JBJ… if you did I failed to file it anywhere. It's news to me now. Anyone ever post a photo of these scribed numbers?

I didn't take a picture when I had one, but I recall thinking that it looked more or less like the SN's scribed on the control plate covers of Jets.

The only reason I mention this is that I would presume that this was done for manufacturing purposes, not "security" purposes. Something along the lines of wanting SN plates to be matched to the correct guitars. If that's the case, then it's plausible that they continued to do this into the '60s and it may be there on the guitar in question.

On the other hand, it certainly could have only been done on the very early models when the specs were still in flux, changing from one guitar to the next. Perhaps it was more important in that time frame to keep guitars matched to the correct SN for record keeping purposes.

I guess somebody will just have to step up and pry a later nailed on SN plaque off and check. I don't know...

What could possibly go wrong?

As an update - I ended up buying a different 1965 -66 Country Gent with the same spec, but again it didn't have the name plate!

I absolutely love this specification, looks cool with a Lou reed and John squire vibe, but I wonder why they changed it almost immediately after George Harrison made this guitar a best seller with the previous specification? Only Gretsch!

Register Sign in to join the conversation