Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Case for my 1957’ 6196 Country Club?

Hi everyone! I'm new here to The Gretsch Pages, I recently acquired a 1957 Country Club, and am having trouble finding a case. I live in a small town, and the nearest music store that can help me is several hours away, so I have to buy online, and to be honest, it's getting a bit confusing. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

If I were buying a new case for it I'd consider a Reunion Blues case. You can probably find reviews online. I bought one a while ago, based on recommendations here.

I have a nice original case for that, but I need a tweed one for my '54 Electro II in trade ;)

Look daily on ebay and Reverb. If you are PATIENT you will be able to find a period correct Gretsch case. There are two period correct cases for your guitar: One case has a star pattern on a grey background, in a tolex covering. In 1957-1958, Gretsch switched to a tolex covered case usually described as "black shot thru with silver threads"

I have a nice original case for that, but I need a tweed one for my '54 Electro II in trade ;)

– charlie chitlins

I'll keep my eye open!

I've got a 17" silver thread case from '57 - '63. Got it for $300. That and shipping and it's yours. Looks a lot like this but without the badge which appeared a bit later.

Look daily on ebay and Reverb. If you are PATIENT you will be able to find a period correct Gretsch case. There are two period correct cases for your guitar: One case has a star pattern on a grey background, in a tolex covering. In 1957-1958, Gretsch switched to a tolex covered case usually described as "black shot thru with silver threads"

– ewkewk

I haven't seen the "silver threads" case style that early. I would say a '57 model year Gretsch needs a snowflake case.

I haven't seen the "silver threads" case style that early. I would say a '57 model year Gretsch needs a snowflake case.

– kc_eddie_b

Agreed. Snowflake for '57, silver threads for '59, not really sure about '58.

Charlie--I have a tweed Gretsch case that I believe would be right for your Electro. I'll try to post pics tonight if you're interested.

kc_eddie_b the first Gretsch I ever played was a VERY EARLY 1958 Anniversary that came with a 'black shot thru with silver threads" tolex case. I don't think Gretsch changed from "snowflakes" to "silver threads" EXACTLY when they switched from dynasonics to filtertrons -- it was simply a gradual changeover depending on which individually sized cases the case maker, Ess &Ess, had back stock on when it ran out of the "snowflake" tolex covering and had to switch to the "silver threads" tolex covering. Depending on the serial number of the 1957 Country Club -- say it is LATE 1957 for the sake of argument, it COULD be "black shot thru with silver threads". While it is more likely that a "snowflake" pattern is correct, it is also a heckuva a lot harder to find "snowflake" cases that "silver threads" cases

And if I am not mistaken, the Gretsch custom shop is using the "snowflake" pattern on certain of their guitars. Whoever makes the cases for the custom shop would presumably not have any problem selling a case to our 1957 Country Club owner

Hi everyone! I'm new here to The Gretsch Pages, I recently acquired a 1957 Country Club, and am having trouble finding a case. I live in a small town, and the nearest music store that can help me is several hours away, so I have to buy online, and to be honest, it's getting a bit confusing. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

– mojolarry

Well this is interesting. I gathered from your original post that you were just after a case. I say 'just' because I didn't immediately think your search meant you wanted a period correct, vintage case. I interpreted you to mean you wanted the correct size case, not necessarily a vintage one, which is what all the suggestions are dealing with. Is that in fact what you're after?

For me, all my guitars are on stands so my cases are all stacked in the spare room and I rarely see them and only use them to attend a gig now and then. While important yes, but not that important. Some folks want their case to be, if not the original, of the same era which is fine of course but trying to find one in mint condition, which BTW, is what you'd have if you bought a new one that fits today's CC (that have the same dimensions), could be an expensive proposition. Good luck with your search, if you're going after a vintage one.

@mojolarry

something like this ?Link

(No affiliation with the seller)

Hi Winsordave! That is exactly right - I'm not really looking for a period correct case at this time. (it would be nice to find one reasonably priced! ) What I want is a correct size case. I'm a working guitarist, and need a case to protect it from point a to point b for mostly local gigs. Most descriptions do not have the size listed, it gets confusing. BTW - thank you everyone for your reply's, and I'm sorry I was not more specific!!

You want the G6242L then. Try to avoid the slightly cheaper L-FT (flat top) version. The G6275 is the way more expensive premium version.

BlackRider claims to have a 50's vintage Grey "White Falcon" 17" deep body case for sale-- $495.

No pics on their website, but the case is listed under "Vintage Gretsch Parts".

They also have NEW Gretsch "premium" grey speckle cases for $349, which would work if you can't find a vintage case.

They also have NEW Gretsch "premium" grey speckle cases for $349, which would work if you can't find a vintage case.

That's the mentioned G6275.

Thank you everyone, I found and purchased a case!

Charlie--I have a tweed Gretsch case that I believe would be right for your Electro. I'll try to post pics tonight if you're interested.

– 57Fleetwood

PM sent.

Register Sign in to join the conversation