Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Caged Electromatic

Came across a vintage guitar shop here in Vienna. Was closed on Sunday. But they got this sitting in the window. The sign said Gretsch 1953 Electromatic. And they are asking 2600 Euros. I am no Vintage expert but I think, beside the hefty price tag, the guitar has been modded or it isnt a 53 at all... No better pics sorry. Shop was closed.

Looks to be a modded '53/4-ish Streamliner (maybe proto-Streamliner) with added Dyna, switch and replaced pickguard. This looks to be a 2.75" body, not the earlier 3+ inch ones, but this still has the earlier trapeze tailpiece and unbound notched f-holes. No truss rod cover, but a few Gretsches from around this time frame had a truss rod adjuster at the fretboard end. Looks clean and I bet sounds great.

Edit: as a bonus it seems to have the added deluxe feature of the Windsordave Handcatcher!

Looks to be a modded '53/4-ish Streamliner (maybe proto-Streamliner) with added Dyna, switch and replaced pickguard. This looks to be a 2.75" body, not the earlier 3+ inch ones, but this still has the earlier trapeze tailpiece and unbound notched f-holes. No truss rod cover, but a few Gretsches from around this time frame had a truss rod adjuster at the fretboard end. Looks clean and I bet sounds great.

Edit: as a bonus it seems to have the added deluxe feature of the Windsordave Handcatcher!

– lx

Great. Thanks for your info on it

Found the website of the store. Better pics there... Says NO trussrod, changed tuners, Bridge, new frets and solid spruce top

http://www.gitarrenwerkstat...

I’ll bet if they held a magnet up to the neck it would be attracted to the non-adjustable truss rod that I think were in these.

Spruce laminate top, not solid -- which is probably why they are charging too much.

Register Sign in to join the conversation