Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Bridge info

Hey All,

I just rediscovered this bridge, it was in the case compartment with my 64' Tennessean, I tried to compare it to other Gretsch bridges, but did not find a match... Just wondering about it's origin...

I'm curious about them, too. I've seen them on the thick body Tennessean transition 6113 model and assumed it's original equipment. Looking at 6113 models now in the net, it appears that a bar bridge was stock on that model.

By chance, years ago, I found one of these in a local music store and used it to replace the space control bridge on my '59 Anniversary. I believe I have seen the same bridge on Harmony or Kay semi-hollow guitars. It has a lower profile than the space control bridge and works great on my guitar.

Definitely not Gretsch. Space control, bar bridges and compensated wood for sixties archtops.

After doing another quick search, I was wrong about it being Kay or Harmony. It is a bridge that appears on various Teisco semi-hollow bodies in the 60's.

Here's the bridge on my old 6113:

And here's what Dan Duffy had to say about it:

"As far as the bridge goes I think it came from The Fred Gretsch Guitar Assessory Dept. on the 7th floor of the building.From the inception of the Spacer Bridge I was always trying to find a bridge that would adjust the intonation as well as the spacing of each string. Notice that this bridge does that.These bridges always wind up looking very ugly. I remember the bridge and we did not make it."

So, I think Gretsch did use these bridges occasionally. I've seen them on enough old Gretsches to believe it's not coincidence, and Mr. Duffy's remarks seem to bear this out. I haven't detected any rhyme or reason as to when or why they were used, but they did show up on at least a few 6113s, so I don't have a hard time believing they would have been used periodically on other models.

Good to know!

Here's the bridge on my old 6113:

And here's what Dan Duffy had to say about it:

"As far as the bridge goes I think it came from The Fred Gretsch Guitar Assessory Dept. on the 7th floor of the building.From the inception of the Spacer Bridge I was always trying to find a bridge that would adjust the intonation as well as the spacing of each string. Notice that this bridge does that.These bridges always wind up looking very ugly. I remember the bridge and we did not make it."

So, I think Gretsch did use these bridges occasionally. I've seen them on enough old Gretsches to believe it's not coincidence, and Mr. Duffy's remarks seem to bear this out. I haven't detected any rhyme or reason as to when or why they were used, but they did show up on at least a few 6113s, so I don't have a hard time believing they would have been used periodically on other models.

– Afire

I don't find the bridge particularly ugly, but not particularly attractive either...but, wow, that's a great looking guitar!

Funny. I had that blurb in my eBay listing when I sold the guitar and my very next sentence was "While I have to agree that it's not as streamlined looking as a bar bridge, 'very ugly' may be going a little far."

I should put that guitar in the database along with my eBay description, which includes more of Dan's thoughts on the model.

That bridge type came on a number of Japanese made guitars. I have a 1967 Ventura copy of a Country Gent and it had a version of that bridge but with a flip-up mute. I use to see that type of bridge all the time on Sixties Japanese made guitars. So not a Gretsch made bridge or even one that I've seen on a stock Sixties Gretsch. As far as I can recall, the bridges on all Gretsch's made in the sixties were either the Bar Bridge or the Roller/Space Control Bridge.

Thanks for the input, on another page they are saying it could be a hacked Jaguar bridge or a copy of some sort.. I was just curious, since it came with the guitar..

That bridge type came on a number of Japanese made guitars. I have a 1967 Ventura copy of a Country Gent and it had a version of that bridge but with a flip-up mute. I use to see that type of bridge all the time on Sixties Japanese made guitars. So not a Gretsch made bridge or even one that I've seen on a stock Sixties Gretsch. As far as I can recall, the bridges on all Gretsch's made in the sixties were either the Bar Bridge or the Roller/Space Control Bridge.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

See Dan Duffy's comments above. He says they weren't made by Gretsch, but came from the "Fred Gretsch Guitar Assessory Dept. on the 7th floor." I agree, they do look like Japanese bridges from that era. And it's entirely possible that's where they came from. Gretsch distributed a ton of doodads from all over the place.

Yeah, I agree: put it in the database with Dan's comments. It's an interesting guitar...and Chet was angry about it if I remember correctly. thanks.

The first and second bridges in this thread look slightly different. The first one , the saddles almost look wire-wound, and have more than three slots. I've seem similar on 60's Japanese guitars.

The second one has three machined grooves/saddle. I had one of those on a Tennessean back in the day. I always figured it to be a replacement, as it didn't match anything else I'd seen before. That and it had a serious headstock repair. I guessed that it probably sat around without strings for a while before somebody pieced it back together, and lost its original bridge.

Register Sign in to join the conversation