Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Brian Setzer’s early 6120

Maybe you experts can tell me about these two guitars. I saw an article in a guitar magazine and it showed both 6120s. I know the one on the left was the first one right? Used to have a black pick guard and has the skill and cross bones on headstock. The one on the right is a different guitar right? When did he begin using the one on the right?

The one on the left is the original 59/60 Stray Cat 6120. On the right looks to be the same guitar, but may be one of the custom shop limited run of tribute guitars. I think it's the Stray Cat though, difficult to tell from that pic. The skull and crossed bones are long gone as is the cat. The Lucky Lady pin up was replaced with the 45 pin up some years ago.

The black pickguard was hand made by Brian and a guy from Ampeg I believe, but I can't remember his name. I may be wrong on that, don't quote me.

Same guitar, 100%, serial #33024

The original one is pretty easy to recognise. The owner before started to refinish the guitar and then stopped and changed his mind before selling it. You can see the area where the finish is removed. Just around the treble side F-Hole. I remember reading an interview with Brian Setzer long ago where he mentionned this.

The CS tributes also have that bit of finish removed.

I always wondered how a guitar would get so worn in such an odd spot. Makes sense now.

The one on the left is the original 59/60 Stray Cat 6120. On the right looks to be the same guitar, but may be one of the custom shop limited run of tribute guitars. I think it's the Stray Cat though, difficult to tell from that pic. The skull and crossed bones are long gone as is the cat. The Lucky Lady pin up was replaced with the 45 pin up some years ago.

The black pickguard was hand made by Brian and a guy from Ampeg I believe, but I can't remember his name. I may be wrong on that, don't quote me.

– Deke Martin

Brian told me (via this webforum) that it was his girlfriend's father that made him the smoke black pickguard circa 81' rockpalast

Register Sign in to join the conversation