Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Break-away Bigsby arm repro Intentions

Hello Gentlemen,

What if we try to reproduce them? Do we have somebody in the group with one of them? Deke maybe? Ed??

I'm a bit ignorant about the procedure but I can find out... I guess a mold would be needed then some polishing work. maybe we could finance the mold all together the ones we are interested and see which price we get for units we produce??

I'm just droping the matter... I'm sure it is quite easy in the end. cheers!

Biel

These breakaway models are an interesting oddball member of the Bigsby family.

My first thought... They were not considered a "good" idea upon their release and the quick replacement with a better design seems to confirm that. The only reason to attempt to reproduce them would be for the aesthetics and unusual appearance.

My second thought... One of the reasons these are interesting to people is their rarity. If we made a bunch of repros would they lose some of that intrigue?

I’m kinda with Ed on that one. The rarity would substantially diminish if we started repro’ing them.

Nothing would be stopping you from creating your own, either by your self if you have the skills, or through a local machine shop otherwise. But that would be something I would think of as a personal "one-off", rather like a custom pickguard, instead of an "improvement" in the overall function, like (for instance) the Tru-Arcs.

So by all means, get one done up for yourself, show it off, and see if anyone else bites. But I would not be too quick to set up a manufacturing process for something the original maker appears to have decided was not the best idea already.

Just my two bits....

I've made them, and have owned a couple. Here's a picture of one I never got around to finishing....just kind of roughed out...needs the right screw, lots more filing, sanding, and polishing. I'll probably finish it when I have 20 more hours to kill.

I'm a little alarmed to learn that there are repros of this Bigsby format out in the world. But I'm also appreciative for this revelation since I am in the market for one. I now know that I can't assume one that pops up is automatically authentic.

OK!

I understand. I didn't have in mind to make 50 units, just a couple for each of us interested in them. I take all your points, sure!

However I might try to get an attempt done for my own collection if you'd be so nice to post pictures in different angles... would you please??

cheers!!

If you plan to cast these you'll first have to set up a small home aluminum foundry--an accurately sized master model in wood (aluminum will shrink as it cools), provisions for making a sand mold, a means to melt sufficient aluminum to cast your parts. It might be easier, for a one-off, to cut it from a solid aluminum billet. I made a "Chet arm" for my Bigsby from a piece of aluminum and some stainless rod; it was time consuming and a bit of work, but I could do it in my garage workshop.

I’d be in for one or two of these. I like the idea.

I think CNC with an aluminum block is probably the way to go.

These would never pass for originals as the patina would be impossible to match but they would look and function as an original.

Keep me advised.

I’d be in for one or two of these. I like the idea.

I think CNC with an aluminum block is probably the way to go.

These would never pass for originals as the patina would be impossible to match but they would look and function as an original.

Keep me advised.

If you come up with a stamp for under the arm somewhere near the base, no one would confuse them.

Why was the model replaced? Did these snap?

I can get a 3D scan for CNC. I already know some people, but then I need an original....

Sorry for quick off-topic:

Biel, love your work. Still listen to the TV3 Jazz a l’estudi from a few years back now and then.

And of course the other stuff as well.

Chris

If you come up with a stamp for under the arm somewhere near the base, no one would confuse them.

Why was the model replaced? Did these snap?

– hammerhands

I had a couple of runs of Vox Top Boost knobs made a few years ago and that's exactly what I did. Original next to a repro:

I would get a letter punch red hot and impress an "R" deeply into the back of them.

Hello!

just to keep it alive: no owner wants to help and let us proceed?? :P

PS: Thanks a lot for the comment Chris!!

I wish I still had my break away as I'd lend it to you

Anyone out there have one for loan??

I do however know someone who has one on a If no one from the GDP cokes through i will reach out to him.

I had a couple of runs of Vox Top Boost knobs made a few years ago and that's exactly what I did. Original next to a repro:

I would get a letter punch red hot and impress an "R" deeply into the back of them.

– Afire

I have a number of original knobs. No plans to sell them. JMI also used them on early "Cliff Richard" Reverb units.

Register Sign in to join the conversation