Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Bo Diddley Gretsch guitars

Well there is this thing called the internet I can use, but still is it known what happened to the several unusual guitars Grestch made for him and maybe other band members?

Well there is this thing called the internet I can use, but still is it known what happened to the several unusual guitars Grestch made for him and maybe other band members?

– DCBirdMan

Doesn't Billy Gibbons own Bo's original (not made by Gretsch but made using a Gretsch Duo Jet neck) "Jupiter Thunderbird" model? I thought that was how it became the Billy Bo production guitar...a mash up of Bo's guitar but with some appointments Billy prefers.

tabletop, the original "Jupiter Thunderbird" is thoroughly a Gretsch guitar and not just a Duo-Jet neck added to a custom made body. The body, in fact, was made by a Gretsch employee who sculpted the guitar body on the "QT" on the weekends when the factory was closed. Gretsch management at the time that the guitar was made was unaware that they had a weekend warrior making a little money on the side. But besides the body and neck, the pickups, tailpiece, knobs, pickguard and the like are pure Gretsch

tabletop, the original "Jupiter Thunderbird" is thoroughly a Gretsch guitar and not just a Duo-Jet neck added to a custom made body. The body, in fact, was made by a Gretsch employee who sculpted the guitar body on the "QT" on the weekends when the factory was closed. Gretsch management at the time that the guitar was made was unaware that they had a weekend warrior making a little money on the side. But besides the body and neck, the pickups, tailpiece, knobs, pickguard and the like are pure Gretsch

– ewkewk

Ah ok. Yeah I knew it was made by someone Gretsch related...I just meant the company didn't make it for him. So cool that it was done on the QT!

Doesn't BG have it now?

Bo's square guitar was definitely made in house by Gretsch as Dan Duffy recalls playing it.

Wow, do these stories come from Dan Duffy's book? I should read it

And yep, Billy Gibbons still owns the Jupiter, given to him by Bo. I plan to track down a rectangular G5810 and convert it to look like Bo's.

I did play the one that Steven Segal once owned. It was sold with fancy black n white waistcoat. Which I didn't try on!

I did play the one that Steven Segal once owned. It was sold with fancy black n white waistcoat. Which I didn't try on!

– Vince_Ray

– Vince_Ray

I t hink Segal also owned/owns the original Albert King Flying V.

I t hink Segal also owned/owns the original Albert King Flying V.

– DCBirdMan

Which one? He had a few...

Well I knew Segal had gotten the original 1958 V King had, although King took it off the road by the mid 70s (IIRC)

Which one? He had a few...

– kc_eddie_b

Ok...NOW THIS IS A GREAT PICTURE!

I do love a flying V (even though I have never owned one) - I like that "Lucy" has a Gibson shaped headstock, never noticed that before.

I do love a flying V (even though I have never owned one) - I like that "Lucy" has a Gibson shaped headstock, never noticed that before.

– Devil's Tool

Dan Erlewine made that one for Albert. Gibson LP custom or ES355 size and shaped headstock.

Register Sign in to join the conversation