Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Blonde Synchro 160

Especially where it's not wishful thinking that the parts value should cover the asking price for a patient seller.

Funny that no one asked how mine sounded......

– knavel

I'm very interested Knavel, in how it sounds and particularly, how it sounds comparing it to your 100 that's gone now.

What strings are you using on this and on the 100?

Seller said the neck is solid. Action a little high. The bridge wheels look as low as they can go.

I’m going to walk away from this one. Kick myself later.

I'm very interested Knavel, in how it sounds and particularly, how it sounds comparing it to your 100 that's gone now.

What strings are you using on this and on the 100?

– Windsordave

It strikes me as the loudest of any Gretsch archtop I've played. Also has the heftiest neck. So the volume makes me like it more comparatively.

I couldn't even compare it to the Synchro 100 I had as I don't really remember ever playing it to be honest! Net/net I like cats eyes more but I also like tortoise binding more--all aesthetic and not sonic stuff. This guitar here is cool because it has both. I've never cared for Gretsch acoustics especially arch tops sonically, but visually they are hard to beat. To be fair I just don't like any sort of arch top too much.

I was being a bit cheeky when I commented on no one asking how they sound--I always figure with Gretsch acoustics it has to be about the way they look to at least some significant degree and no one talking about sound for this entire discussion made me think this moreso.

Now that you mention it I do recall your discussing the types of strings that sound best on these guitars--that was years ago. I have no idea what strings are on my Synchro 160 now. (I am not sure what strings are on any guitar I have beyond whether it's flat or round wound actually.)

I asked the seller yesterday if you could send a video clip to see what it sounded like. I hope he gets one to me

I asked the seller yesterday if you could send a video clip to see what it sounded like. I hope he gets one to me

That is so lovely. Not crazy for the headstock. But, lovely. Wish it were $3,000 more--I wanna stop thinking on her.

Register Sign in to join the conversation