Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Blonde Bombshell Synchro 160

Those black "dots" I belive are plugs of some type that were used to secrue the neck. The appear original.

The plug on the bass side of the bombshell in the first post is intact; the plug (or veneer) for the treble side is missing. There is what looks like a slight depression but I can't make out what the plug/veneer was covering. Doesn't look like a screw; maybe a pin? There's no mystery like a Gretsch mystery....

The plug on the bass side of the bombshell in the first post is intact; the plug (or veneer) for the treble side is missing. There is what looks like a slight depression but I can't make out what the plug/veneer was covering. Doesn't look like a screw; maybe a pin? There's no mystery like a Gretsch mystery....

– lx

It does look like the end of a wood pin or dowel on that treble side of "bombshell". The thing that puzzles me is if these were inserted straight in, how are they engaging a block or joint part that's connected to the body?

My guess would be some sort of reinforcement for the fingerboard extension to neck joint. But I'm not sure why that would be necessary, or what form it would be taking here. But that's the location of these plugs.

Dave, when you get a chance, could you take a magnet to that to see if anything metallic is under there? Gretsch usually had reasons for doing stuff; I can't quite believe that these are "beauty marks" like Marilyn Monroe's mole.

– lx

I forgot to add in my answer that my guitar does have a non-adjustable truss rod in the neck as I mentioned a long time back. That is testable with a magnet.

Found more images of old Gretsches with these mystery parts.

This one also seems to be missing the plug on the treble side (and has a filled jack hole in a more common location)

Another (this one with treble plug)

Another (this one with treble plug)

– JimR56

Mine has that plug on both sides of the neck.

Can't get a magnet into that space Lx so I don't know if there's any steel behind the tort dot.

Just re-read and found this. Dave, don't you have any small magnets in the house, like a refrigerator magnet or the like?

Can't get a magnet into that space Lx so I don't know if there's any steel behind the tort dot.

Just re-read and found this. Dave, don't you have any small magnets in the house, like a refrigerator magnet or the like?

– JimR56

It was a few frig magnets that I tried but I have nothing that will get in tight against the plug.

This one showed up on a (later) jumbo flat-top model (https://www.worthpoint.com/...)

– JimR56

It looks like a post war 125F with that to-die-for blonde (TV?) finish. If Gretsch could just source that tiger-stripe tort binding, they'de sell more guitars. All these blondes are making me dizzy. Yow.

Just for you lx... a blond (not natural) 125F complete with the black dots at the neck heel.

And another, in the same cream-colored finish, for those you dig the cats-eye sound-holes.

Something tells me that Curt would be able to solve this little mystery if he saw this topic...

Register Sign in to join the conversation