Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Bizzar vintage White Falcon

I've had a copy of "The guitar handbook" for years and years. In the mid section when discussing different brands, there is a photo of a single cut white falcon, with what appear to be Baldwin era knobs, very different knob positions , and a strange headstock shape. I'm sure this could just be all done aftermarket, but was curious if anyone here recognises any of these features and might be able to place the era

I've had a copy of "The guitar handbook" for years and years. In the mid section when discussing different brands, there is a photo of a single cut white falcon, with what appear to be Baldwin era knobs, very different knob positions , and a strange headstock shape. I'm sure this could just be all done aftermarket, but was curious if anyone here recognises any of these features and might be able to place the era

– ctravaglini

The picture is poor enough so as not to be able to tie things down absolutely, but here is an educated guess based on the Baldwin era silver colored knobs, the space control bridge, the lack of gold sparkle binding, and the odd shape of the head stock that what you are looking at is a 1968 to 1971 Country Club (big "f" holes disappeared in 1972) that has had its head stock reshaped and the guitar refinished and with newer silver colored knobs Hard to tell if there is a zero fret or not, but there should be from that era

Poor pic but the bottom “point” on the f holes looks squared off Annie style. And it’s usually fairly vertical big f’s or slanted small ones, this is slanted big.

Strange to see a B7 Bigsby on any vintage Gretsch.

Check this out! Someone on Gretsch Talk from over a decade ago posted about this "1961 white falcon " for sale. Clearly not a genuine white falcon, the shop ended up removing it from sale so as to not mislead customers. There's unfortunately no pic of the headstock, but the body looks remarkably close to the pic from the book, albeit with new knobs, a new Bigsby and a pickguard.

If I ever found this guitar , id buy it just got sentiments sake. The first "gretsch falcon" I ever saw

Register Sign in to join the conversation