Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Billy Bo history

I guess I can on ly add one photos per post?

Any info on those? The laminated guitar looks like it was made out of the same wood as the booneville era solid body's.

I still have the first 2007 White Penguin Billy Bo that was opened from the first batch (Joel's personal one). Jack White tried to buy it from him, and he declined. A few years later, when a second or third batch was made and Joel was frustrated that it was getting less and less exclusive, he sold his to me. I had a custom pickguard made (by Setzer) for it that brought it all together nicely - featuring a penguin with Bo's hat and Billy's beard.

More pics needed? Here's mine:

Drool

I still have the first 2007 White Penguin Billy Bo that was opened from the first batch (Joel's personal one). Jack White tried to buy it from him, and he declined. A few years later, when a second or third batch was made and Joel was frustrated that it was getting less and less exclusive, he sold his to me. I had a custom pickguard made (by Setzer) for it that brought it all together nicely - featuring a penguin with Bo's hat and Billy's beard.

– wadeaminute

Oy --- da hat and da beard on dat pengvin make him look like an Orthodox rabbi!

Just in time for Hanukkah too!

Billy's "Guitar Vault"? Actually...More like a small industrial sized wharehouse in the San Fernando Valley. He's got a few Hundred guitars. I don't know any vault anywhere that could hold his collection unless it's the Federal Reserve Bank vault.

@ hermitt, there's a reverse BB on the bay now for 2000 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201...

I'm THIS close to selling all my gear and getting one of these. I don't think it will be long before I snap, :D. Man, these things are so cool.

– wadeaminute

That's why I got rid of my "first run" White Penguin BB

These are the 4 I have, I need another but want Dynas. Time to call Rocky...

Edit: and maybe Curt.

– CBell

You gotta tell me the story of that Tiger Flame Maple Orange Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird with the Falcon/Lightning Bolt Headstock (and B5 Bigsby... not my fave Bigsby, but oh well...). It is GORGEOUS!! Custom Shop? Limited Edition? Do you still have it? Would you like to sell it? I'm trying to find an Orange Billy-Bo right now myself!!

And, did you ever get one with Dynasonics? I think a Western Round Up Billy Bo would be the way to go, as far as one with Dynasonics in it- the whole 50's Brooklyn Cowboy motif & all with the 50's pickups...

You gotta tell me the story of that Tiger Flame Maple Orange Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird with the Falcon/Lightning Bolt Headstock (and B5 Bigsby... not my fave Bigsby, but oh well...). It is GORGEOUS!! Custom Shop? Limited Edition? Do you still have it? Would you like to sell it? I'm trying to find an Orange Billy-Bo right now myself!!

And, did you ever get one with Dynasonics? I think a Western Round Up Billy Bo would be the way to go, as far as one with Dynasonics in it- the whole 50's Brooklyn Cowboy motif & all with the 50's pickups...

– linclink

Sadly the owner of the guitars you're inquiring about has recently passed away. It's nice that his thoughts (via posts) and his guitars (via photos) are captured here on the GDP for us all to remember him by.

Can told me that the one with all the dots on it was his favorite guitar( he had lots) painted by Sara gellenberger. (Spelling wrong )

Thought I would add a photo of joesie pretending to play my guitar at cams party

I know what you mean....

Don't worry, somebody will be along shortly to post the mock-up "Electromatic Billy Bo" advertisement... The Chonny signature model is freakin' awesome-- I'd be all over it.

EDIT: I found it... knew I had saved it somewhere...

– Tartan Phantom

FINALLY! I've been waiting for this to show up again!!!

Thanks TP, I know it was 2 years ago but I thought it was lost forever.

These are the 4 I have, I need another but want Dynas. Time to call Rocky...

Edit: and maybe Curt.

– CBell

CBell's (Cam's) model Orange Tiger Maple Flame Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird (Falcon Lightning Headstock & B5) in action, in the hands of the great Brian Setzer during an encore of "Brand New Cadillac". And a nice still pic too.

Hope, somehow, someway, somewhere he's gets to dig it from The Great Beyond, this one is dedicated his way! :)

Can told me that the one with all the dots on it was his favorite guitar( he had lots) painted by Sara gellenberger. (Spelling wrong )

His favorite in action!!

Had to post this. This popped up on FB. The pickguard made me smile.

– wadeaminute

There are Chinese Billy Bo copies out there with that same bearded/hatted penguin on the pickguard. I'm not kidding.

Register Sign in to join the conversation