Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Bigsby or no

If ever a period-correct Bigsby comes your way, I think that should go onto the guitar. At least that's what I'd do. I'm thinking to put an old gold Bigsby on my '55 Convertible but I just can't decide what type of bridge to look for!

You have Roddy Frame's guitar????! Is that the guitar on "Dreamland"?? How did you attain this guitar? I'd keep any mod that Roddy did! I wouldn't even change the strings.... ALWAYS a Bigsby!

– hilosean

Yep, that's the one, and thanks to sascha for the video, I've been a fan of Roddy since he started, very talented man.

There aren't too many clubs in this custom colour, Bo Diddly had one and I can't get a clear enough image to tell if it's the same guitar, I have managed to trace this one back to a guitar shop in LA in the mid 80s, it was sold to a Japanese dealer and I'm guessing Roddy bought it in Japan as Aztec Camera often toured Japan.

I am actively looking for a gold period correct Melita bridge and if I came across a Bigsby of the correct age and model I might be tempted but the one that came with it seems to dtract from the line of the guitar.

Thanks for the answers and interest, it seems that as I suspected Gretsch boys and girls love a Bigsby

This used to be Roddy Frame's guitar, guys! It's a shame most people do not care. But there are people in this world who rank him one of the greatest songwriters in pop history. At least I know I do.

Twankjunkie, you are free to do whatever you want with the guitar but I would care rather about the non-original bridge and base than about the Bigsby. If you want originality the type of B-6 is wrong anyway.

Play this in excellent health!

Here's your guitar "in action":

– sascha

I always liked his voice.

Wabash, just an observation here. Is it your intention or your spellchecker at work? Gretchen? : )

– Deed Eddy

Ach, ist nicht so? Gretschen ist das plural von Gretsch in der Deutschen-sprachen.

Ein Gretsch, Zwei Gretschen.

One of my favourite movie lines: "A man who say no to champagne say no to life." I like, "A man who say no to Bigsby say no to life." Whenever I play my tele I reach for the magic lever but it's not there. As they say in Newfoundland, "And there it was....gone."

I am a confessed Bigsbyholic -- ALL of my electric guitars (Gretsch, Gibson, D'Angellico) have Bigsbys (with Chet "wire arms"....) In "blue sky thinking" moments over the years, I've pondered a Bigsby for my Martin D-41........

THAT SAID -- I'm always curious about why we seem to equate vintage/classic Gretsch Guitars ("Gretchen?") with Bigsbys. If you check the 1955 Gretsch Catalog -- the "golden age".... -- you will see that the ONLY Gretsch models that sported a Bigsby were the 2 Chet models. No other guitars in that catalog included a Bigsby.

http://gretschpages.com/his...

THAT SAID -- I'm always curious about why we seem to equate vintage/classic Gretsch Guitars ("Gretchen?") with Bigsbys. If you check the 1955 Gretsch Catalog -- the "golden age".... -- you will see that the ONLY Gretsch models that sported a Bigsby were the 2 Chet models. No other guitars in that catalog included a Bigsby.

One word: Duane.

I am a confessed Bigsbyholic -- ALL of my electric guitars (Gretsch, Gibson, D'Angellico) have Bigsbys (with Chet "wire arms"....) In "blue sky thinking" moments over the years, I've pondered a Bigsby for my Martin D-41........

http://gretschpages.com/his...

– senojnad

I have a theory on that, many of the 50s Gretsch guitars I see with Bigsby's (apart from 6120s and 6121s) seem to be after market, often 1960s units. I think it may be down to the Beatles use of Bigsby's that led to an association between Bigsby and Gretsch. In the 60s Gretsch were very visable, and many models were sold with Bigsbys as standard, I think it may have led to a conception that a Gretsch without a Bigsby was odd.

Also even in the 50s most of the icons who used Gretsch had Bigsby's fitted, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, Cliff Gallup, Chet etc

I'm always curious about why we seem to equate vintage/classic Gretsch Guitars ("Gretchen?") with Bigsbys. If you check the 1955 Gretsch Catalog -- the "golden age".... -- you will see that the ONLY Gretsch models that sported a Bigsby were the 2 Chet models. No other guitars in that catalog included a Bigsby.

Just about everybody who made a mark with a Gretsch in the '50s and '60s did so with one Chet Atkins model or another, so they all had Bigsbys. Even the two notable Jet players of that era that spring to mind - Cliff and George - had Bigsbys on their Jets.

Register Sign in to join the conversation