Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Bigsby B6 on a duo jet?

Hi everyone, i’m new here! I just bought a beautiful 1965 Gretsch Duo Jet but the Burns trem unit had cracks in it. Turns out it was incorrectly positioned at the factory and the front screw went straight into the cavity thus offering zero support for the string tension.

Seeing as anything I do to remedy this will ultimately make this guitar a ‘players’ piece I want to fit an old gold Bigsby. A friend has a B6 from the 60’s but everyone says a B3 is what should be fitted.

Will a B6 fit? It seems to me that the closer the string anchor is to the bridge the better?

I’ve found a pic of a 50’s duo jet with what appears to be a B6 and it looks fine to me.

Thanks!

If the break-angle works, go for it. Your Jet may already be a "player" as IIRC Jets didn't get dual SuperTrons until around 1968. Not to say that someone couldn't have special-ordered it that way. With the plug-in pickups, originality would be hard to tell. Had a '63 Jet Firebird and it was a lot of fun.

Thanks, good to hear it’s not impossible. To be honest I’m just calling it a 65 as that’s how the seller described it, it could be a 68. It wasn’t expensive and i’m new to gretsch so don’t really have the knowledge! I just know it was worth the price and sounds/plays great!

??

– Jimmyguitar

This gangster98 is just some spammer Jimmy, ignore the dick.

Cool 60s Jet... but what's going on with the pickguard?

It’s broken, I have a replacement on the way!

Big bonus is the binding is all fine, no rot!

The example of a B6 on a duo jet..

– Jimmyguitar

Lengthwise it seems like it could work, but the handle being so far forward would take some getting used to. Oh, and the strings in the pic are placed horribly crooked... One more thing comes to mind, does the hinge fit the width of the body? It could be too large but it is replaceable if necessary.

That's a sweet Double Cut Jet. It's a shame that the Burns isn't salvageable. To me, they're a special work of art on a Gretsch, being part of their history. Oh, and welcome to the GDP.

There's a fair amount of arch on Jet bodies anyway,and the fingerboard is high enough off the body that a non-tension bar Bigsby will work. Looked at some pics of George Harrison's Duo-Jet,and his Bigsby looks more like a B3 than a B6 (and it's a V-cut too!) but a B6 looks like it'd work on yours. Even if not, B3's aren't that expensive. Me,I kinda like the idea of the arm reaching a little closer to the neck pickup.YMMV

Well the B6 arrived and it does fit and looks great!

I rocked a b6 on mine for a long time

Looking good Is the bracket-close to the high E string a problem? Looks very close? Possible higher string breaking risk if string get caught by the spring or the bracket casing?

The handle could be changed to a shorter version right? Chet wire arm or Merle arm shortened?

I rocked a b6 on mine for a long time

– Setzer

Hey Paul... that looks like a B3 (fixed-arm) to me.

Well the B6 arrived and it does fit and looks great!

– Jimmyguitar

The Bigsby looks fine. I'm wondering if while you're changing things you're getting rid of that POS space control bridge for a Serpentune from Proteus?

Hey Paul... that looks like a B3 (fixed-arm) to me.

– kc_eddie_b

Hey Ed, I think it’s just the photo angle making it look shorter. Here it is mounted on my Streamliner but with a different handle.

Hey Ed, I think it’s just the photo angle making it look shorter. Here it is mounted on my Streamliner but with a different handle.

– Setzer

how come no fancy pickguard? :)

how come no fancy pickguard? :)

– TheNocturneBrain

Got a custom clear convertible on it for now

Throw away that bridge!

– Billy Zoom

I’ve just refitted the original burns unit having had it welded back together.. it’s not an invisible repair by any means but it works fine.

Re the bridge, I like it.. intonation is perfect which is pretty unbelievable.. the guitar sounds great, lots of sustain and rich harmonics. So I don’t see a need to change it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation