Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Belated NGD #1: 1958 Gretsch Country Club

Hi guys.

Like many Europeans I'm always looking around for nice Gretsch guitars. Vintage specimen - especially in good condition - are quite rare. And expensive.

So when a guy from my town sold something through ebay I spotted some familiar looking cases in the background of the description photo and asked if he had anything Gretsch for sale. He had. Long story short: I bought two guitars off him that both needed some work but were in good basic condition, so I couldn't pass.

This is #1, a 1958 Country Club. It has PAF Filtertrons with the plain pickup rings. For some reason the original Space Control bridge works absolutely fine.

I took it to a luthier and said I'm in no hurry. Now I got it back. Fully restored to new old glory. It needed neck work but now is excellent. Neck re-set, fretboard levelled, re-fretting, new nut, PLEK'd. When I bought it, it had an aftermarket gold B6 which is not period correct, so I looked around for something closer and hope I got it right. Everything else should be original.

What more can I say? It has the meatiest neck I ever played on a Gretsch but sounds sooo clear... it's amazing. Is it because of the spruce top + trestle bracing + longer scale formula?

I'm a rather small guy, so this a huge guitar for me to play. I hope sometime soon I have the chance to hear and see it in some really good player's hands for some tunes. There is way more potential in it than I can elaborate.

Isn't she lovely?

Thanks.

Sascha

beautiful guitar and good story!!

congrats & enjoy

cheers

Very nice Sascha! I think there are going to be some nice guitars at the Round Up!

You have excellent taste.

Fantastic Sascha, a guitar to really enjoy.

It's got a real authentic jazz look- the blonde overcoat with neck stringer all set off with snappy stairstep buttons. This has very cool beatnik credentials.

Gorgeous, Sascha!! A "natural" CC has been on my bucket list for several years...... (I know -- I have not looked hard enough).

Enjoy!!

Oh my! That is almost my dream guitar. Mine would be a 1957 with Dynas. But other than that...droooool! This and a '57 Duo Jet like George's and I can sell all of my other guitars.

Very yummy. I've got a major thing for blonde Gretsches right now. Are the filtertrons blank cover? Glad the SC bridge works for you; the one on my '58 Streamliner just gave a thumpy sound.

Very yummy. I've got a major thing for blonde Gretsches right now. Are the filtertrons blank cover? Glad the SC bridge works for you; the one on my '58 Streamliner just gave a thumpy sound.

– lx

Thanks, guys.

lx: It has P.A.F.s.

Dang! Two at a time, eh? Nice acquisitions!

Super cool. I love it when guitars like this get put right; made better, rather than continuing to slide into decrepitude and eventual death. Well done Sascha.

Wow, lovely guitar Sascha. Hang onto that one.

I, like lx, have always had a love affair with blondes. A particularly great finish on CC's.

Looks fantastic. Nice score, Sascha !

Beautiful guitar ,congrats sir!

wow glorious.... any chance to get know what you have paid... just curious...

congrats to your new beauty!!!

Welcome to the 'Club club! And a blond one with a spruce top to boot, amazing.

Thank you so much for the kind words, everybody. I'll bring the guitar to the Euro Roundup.

Woo . . . anudder un! Congrats, sascha!

Register Sign in to join the conversation