Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Astro Jet Fixer Upper PSA

No Affiliation With Seller.

More an upper than a fixer. Buy this for $975 + shipping, another +/- $100 for a Bigsby and you're off to the stars. Looks like it's got a treble boost or some-such too.

Is this supposed to be as originally sold? I cannot imagine anyone ever would have had the logo drilled through for the tuner?

A Bigsby makes it heavier and it's already a heavy guitar. If it were me I would ditch the whole idea of a vibrato and just put a light standard tailpiece on there. The strings on an Astro Jet go through so many bends that it's usually impossible to keep in tune with a vibrato mechanism anyway.

It's not just the tailpiece that needs to be addressed. The bridge is also missing.

Looks like a reasonable deal compared to what people are usually asking for these. The vintage Supertron pickups alone are probably worth $300

Edit: Yes that's how Astro Jets came. I had one that I sold recently and the tuner encroached on the logo at the top just like that.

Is this supposed to be as originally sold? I cannot imagine anyone ever would have had the logo drilled through for the tuner?

– Olivia Anne

There was a beautiful post-war Synchromatic that had a tuner going right through "S" a few months back, so more than a couple got out. And there is the famous "Gertsch" headstock in the Jay Scott book.

I think the last 2 year of Astro Jet had the treble booster that appeared on the Rally and even the last Jet Firebirds.

That's definitely salvageable.

That's definitely salvageable.

– crowbone

Agreed.

When I repaired this neck I made sure to move the logo over slightly.

Looks like a good deal for somebody.

They sound great and are easy to play. My only complaints with the one I had was it was heavy and went out of tune easy.

Yeah, I was gassing for one for a couple of years until I went to a show and picked it up. Same reaction as with LP's; woof.

Register Sign in to join the conversation