Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Art Wiggs sighting???

Someone recently asked about the whereabouts of Art Wiggs these days. I have no idea... but I feel like he's always with us when I find guitars like this one. For reference the #512xx batch is a group of 100 Anniversary models (not Gents). The text on the headstock badge isn't consistent with actual Gents of the period. The warrantee certificate looks suspect as well.

I'm surprised the price is as low as it is and there isn't some wildly imaginative narrative to justify his usual jacked up pricing.

I'm surprised the price is as low as it is and there isn't some wildly imaginative narrative to justify his usual jacked up pricing.

– Windsordave

I'm not suggesting that good 'ol Art is the seller. I'm just wondering (out loud) if this headstock plaque is an example of his work.

Here's what those badges "should" look like...

Here's what those badges "should" look like...

– kc_eddie_b

Ouch...

Isn't a '62 Gent suppose to have the [larger] pop-up mute knobs, not toggle style?

So what is the guitar then? A lesser model dressed up?

So what is the guitar then? A lesser model dressed up?

– munman

I have no doubt it's a legit early 60s Gent (post '62 model year). But it will also always have a story, and a mystery as to why it has a fake serial number, and what other components might have been changed.

I got a repro of the vintage Gretsch warrantee; all blank but clearly done with a modern printer. It would look convincing to someone who hasn't seen a real one or to anyone looking at a web photo. That said, the other document is a Gretsch guarantee registration card, again easily forged. I would think vintage offset printing would look quite different than a modern laser printing.

I have no doubt it's a legit early 60s Gent (post '62 model year). But it will also always have a story, and a mystery as to why it has a fake serial number, and what other components might have been changed.

– kc_eddie_b

I think this one is a distant cousin of the '60's Gent with S/N plaque 26401!

Ouch...

– Curt Wilson

Yeah it's pretty sad if one has to say "We know it's not the real thing because it's not crooked and sloppily done"

KC Eddie, it was me in another thread that I asked about him. I know he's considered to be quite shady.

The seller of that guitar is based in Savannah, Ga. Art is located in the Central Valley of California, probably around Bakersfield or Fresno..

I once very briefly owned a 1963 Gent "restored" by Art. The "restoration" consisted of replacing all hardware and electronics with modern counterparts (no doubt, so the original parts could go into his inventory), an unbelievably sloppy rebinding, and a refinish that appeared to have been done by dipping it in a vat of something and hanging it to dry. Literally, there were visible drips.

But I don't recall whether there was any issue with the serial number.

Could anyone just clue me in: There is some kind rap Art Wiggs has and by the context of the postings her, not a good rap. So -- anyone -- what is the deal with Art Wiggs? He is not at all in the same league as "bevete" AKA "Betty's Records" on ebay -- that much I know.

I bought several original parts from him at guitar shows in the 90’s, where they came from I can only speculate.

Could anyone just clue me in: There is some kind rap Art Wiggs has and by the context of the postings her, not a good rap. So -- anyone -- what is the deal with Art Wiggs? He is not at all in the same league as "bevete" AKA "Betty's Records" on ebay -- that much I know.

– ewkewk

Although I've known about Wiggs for many years, I never dealt with him, and I know that there are others around here who know more than I do. So, I did a web search for previous discussions to help answer your question. The first link I found was to the following thread on this forum. You asked the same question in that thread (two years ago), and it was pretty well answered. Perhaps you never noticed the posts that followed yours?

http://gretschpages.com/for...

JimR56 I never saw the posts on the page you have linked and I had forgotten that I asked about Art Wiggs before. But thank you for the link because after reading those posts I understand why Art Wiggs is viewed with a jaundiced eye. Thanks again!

No problem, and thanks for replying.

I bought several original parts from him at guitar shows in the 90’s, where they came from I can only speculate.

– JazzBoxJunky

From other people's "restorations". I had a verbal confrontation over the phone about an "original 1950's bar bridge" I bought from him. It was a repro, and not a good one. He started yelling at me that I was a liar and he sold me an original part.

"Why is it stamped "MADE IN JAPAN" then??"

I remember him selling the new Gretsch "Melitas" as "vintage NOS" at a Bay Area Three Amigos guitar shows a few years ago.

Register Sign in to join the conversation