Vintage Gretsch Guitars

APB: Gretsch Guitars is desperately seeking to locate Cliff Gallup’…

JazzBoxJunky, if the monogrammed neck is longer than the stock neck (as seen by the length of fretboard past the 22nd fret) and the scale remains the same, the bridge would have to move towards the neck by the same distance as the increase in neck length.

Yes, I see your point. I think I misunderstood you. Something to think about also,fingerboards can be glued in different areas of the neck and the nuts can be adjusted fore/aft. Also, in a reneck situation, where the neck joint locates at a particular fret.

After reading and rereading all of this information I am so amazed. I was so obsessed with him for so long --and Ive learned quite a bit more about him in the past week.

I am going share my thoughts on the actual 15654 Jet.

Its probably not as hard to find as we think.

Myself and many of us had been looking for a 54' Jet that was as pictured with the Blue Caps.

Thats not what it is now and not what we would find--if 16564 turned up.

We need to be looking for a renecked 54' with that serial number and a bigsby. More than likely the bigsby has had the fixed arm removed and is replaced with a more modern swing away arm.

There are more of those floating around than we realize.

Dekes story about the grandson taking the Jet to Sam Ash is same story I heard in the mid 2000’s. I REMEMBER that story. I think Dickie may have told this one to a mutual friend.

Also if as Deke says Cliff had to get rid of his name when he sold it (makes sense) then we have a standard looking renecked Jet.

As I stated ealrier there are more of these renecked jets around that we relaize. Over the course of the next several years we should simply keep track of whenever one pops up on reverb/ebay and get the serial #. My guess is it will indeed turn up.

I am fairly certain the guitar had a new pickguard when it got a new neck. A new ebony neck was certainly slightly different from the original one. I doubt the screw holes lined up for the guard after the new neck was installed. It just makes basic sense.

What a thread

Fred

I see what you mean Mel, in that group shot photo the bridge does look closer to the treble pickup than in some of the another photos.

But I think the moving target analogy still applies. I mean the bass side of the bridge could have beeen knocked by Paul Burlinson’s elbow. Presuming it wasn’t pinned, it is a moveable object.

Something else I was thinking...If the original guitar was renecked by Gretsch, new fretboard inlaid by Cliff and then the gretsch replacement fretboard put back on for resale would the guitar now have a neo classic half moon fretboard? Or a humped block board?

Edit: Fred beat me to it re the current fretboard situation!

Indiana Jones thread ! Are there any other photos of Cliff and this Gretsch with monogrammed fretboard ? I can't find any. It dosent look good , in fact looks ugly . Could be an amateurs first shot at that kind of work , in that case , I don't think Cliff would be smiling. Could this guitar just be masked up for a photo shoot ? Or is a well known Gretsch he used ?

I was thinking about this too. Jeff did the Crazy Legs album in '93? Had he done more research and found Lowell Fayna. Maybe Lowell woulda given it up for a ridiculous price, had Jeff been willing to pay and that guitar would at least be out there being played.

– captainvideo

It was in the guitar player mag with Jeff on the front dressed as a knight holding a black strat and a sword. That’s when I started getting into Cliff.

So cool. I've been a member on the other G forum for a while but i lurk around here too, this thread made me sign up. That picture with Johnny Burnette, Paul Burlison and Cliff, is that Jimmy Logsdon (Lloyd) with them? If it is that must have been a hoot! Deke, i met you when you played up in Sacramento, im the one gave you the Boyd Vibrato. That Jet you got is so badass, i can relate to all theories presented here and all i can add is this, if it ain't Cliff's guitar then it surely had the same hands build it, in the same room, from the same tree! So cool.

I just read thru this entire Thread,and man does my brain hurt.

So cool. I've been a member on the other G forum for a while but i lurk around here too, this thread made me sign up. That picture with Johnny Burnette, Paul Burlison and Cliff, is that Jimmy Logsdon (Lloyd) with them? If it is that must have been a hoot! Deke, i met you when you played up in Sacramento, im the one gave you the Boyd Vibrato. That Jet you got is so badass, i can relate to all theories presented here and all i can add is this, if it ain't Cliff's guitar then it surely had the same hands build it, in the same room, from the same tree! So cool.

hey man--I remember you, and thanks for the BOYD VIBE!! So cool! To answer your question, I don't think that's Jimmy Logsdon (Jimmy Lloyd). I always thought it was Johnny Black, Bill Black's brother, who played bass for Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio after Johnny and Dorsey got mad at each other. I went and checked the video clip of "lonesome train" from the Rock Rock Rock movie that Johnny Black is playing in, and it's not him either. Not sure who that other guy is!

To everybody else, thanks for posting, I have been busy getting ready for shows this weekend (why, oh why, did I agree to play an unrehearsed show in Phoenix with JOHN JORGENSON!).

But I'm going to do a "revised" version of the Blog piece when I get back. I need to have updates with everything we've discussed here.

My general feeling now is this:

1.Cliff's guitar probably had a "G" tailpiece originally. (I need to go get a real good scan of that early photo to be sure) 2.The $274.50 sale price was probably $230 for the guitar and $44.50 for the case. 3.Cliff's original guitar was probably re-necked and had a replaced fingerboard and would be difficult to recognize now, unless one were able to get the serial number. 4.That being said, even though I now don't think mine is Cliff's guitar, I do think mine is probably more like Cliff's original Jet than his guitar would be if Cliff's guitar were to show up today (replaced neck and all that). It's pretty shocking how close the one I just bought is to Cliff's guitar that he played in 1956, and I honestly don't think there's another one out there that IS that close, down to every detail. 5.Lastly--I definitely have to go to Virginia and properly scan these photos and talk to ANYONE that was alive back then and get them to remember everything they can, dig out their photo albums, etc. The story isn't done yet.

Deke

To everybody else, thanks for posting, I have been busy getting ready for shows this weekend (why, oh why, did I agree to play an unrehearsed show in Phoenix with JOHN JORGENSON!).

But I'm going to do a "revised" version of the Blog piece when I get back. I need to have updates with everything we've discussed here.

My general feeling now is this:

1.Cliff's guitar probably had a "G" tailpiece originally. (I need to go get a real good scan of that early photo to be sure) 2.The $274.50 sale price was probably $230 for the guitar and $44.50 for the case. 3.Cliff's original guitar was probably re-necked and had a replaced fingerboard and would be difficult to recognize now, unless one were able to get the serial number. 4.That being said, even though I now don't think mine is Cliff's guitar, I do think mine is probably more like Cliff's original Jet than his guitar would be if Cliff's guitar were to show up today (replaced neck and all that). It's pretty shocking how close the one I just bought is to Cliff's guitar that he played in 1956, and I honestly don't think there's another one out there that IS that close, down to every detail. 5.Lastly--I definitely have to go to Virginia and properly scan these photos and talk to ANYONE that was alive back then and get them to remember everything they can, dig out their photo albums, etc. The story isn't done yet.

Deke

– DekeDickerson

I agree with everything you said. I still think it's possible that your guitar is Cliff's guitar too. Even still, I love your reasoning that even if it isn't, it's probably closer to the Duo Jet he played than any other guitar in existence.

I’ve renamed this thread extreme “Cliff Diving”

To everybody else, thanks for posting, I have been busy getting ready for shows this weekend (why, oh why, did I agree to play an unrehearsed show in Phoenix with JOHN JORGENSON!). DekeDickerson

Deke, I live in the Phoenix metro area, where are you going to be playing?

I've read this thread in awe of the incredible knowledge of the members here. I found this community last May, after buying my first Gretsch guitar. I was one of the least educated people, on the item this forum is founded upon. I've been taking in so much information about Gretsch guitars, that I'm left breathless. I suppose I should be keeping a log on everything I've been learning. I am very grateful to the members here, who allow us newbies to grow with dignity.

Wade H, the Musical Instrument Museum is opening a cool new exhibit about the history of the electric guitar this weekend, and doing three concerts as part of it. Friday it's the John Jorgenson with the Hot Club of Cowtown, Saturday it's John Jorgenson with Cindy Cashdollar, and Sunday it's me completely blowing clams while John Jorgenson shreds. Should be fun!

https://mim.org/concerts/up...

Sunday it's me completely blowing clams while John Jorgenson shreds.

It's good to have a purpose in life.

But of course you'll be fine.

When I grow up, I wanna be Deke.

Musical Instrument Museum in Pheonix is where Duane's 6120 lives; say hi for me.

What's the range of serial numbers for Jets with the logo on the side of the guard?

Wade H, the Musical Instrument Museum is opening a cool new exhibit about the history of the electric guitar this weekend, and doing three concerts as part of it. Friday it's the John Jorgenson with the Hot Club of Cowtown, Saturday it's John Jorgenson with Cindy Cashdollar, and Sunday it's me completely blowing clams while John Jorgenson shreds. Should be fun!

– DekeDickerson

Fantastic venue. I saw Jorgensen there with the Desert Rose Band. Great, great concert.

– DekeDickerson

Thanks Deke, I love the MIM, it's a great venue, never a bad seat! I seriously doubt your assessment of your talent, myself and millions of others would absolutely disagree. Im planning a Veterans Day BBQ, so unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the MIM on Sunday. Bummer, I was really hoping to be able to meet you.

Hi there all--

Just a note to say that I've updated the blog piece on Cliff's guitar to include all the new evidence pointing in the direction of my new guitar NOT being Cliff's. The updated version is here:

http://muleskinner.blogspot...

Deke

I think yours is as close as we will ever get to see...Good for You!

Deke,

you have found a very good lead with the trade-in document hidden in San Ash Long-Island archives. Is there any chances someone can go and search for them?

H.

I think yours is as close as we will ever get to see...Good for You!

– Twangmeisternyc

Plus 1

A quick thought, and possibly a question for folks that have factory re-necked 50’s Jets. Is it common for these to be double labeled? If so, it might be really hard to find Cliff’s Jet.

Register Sign in to join the conversation