Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Anyone want to spend 80,000 on this baby?

http://www.gruhn.com/

If you go to the Gretsch section, they have this White Penguin made in '57 used by Dan Fogelberg, along with a couple autographed pictures and a letter from him.

I really wish I could afford this. :(

@Zigracer...you should check this out when you go to Nashville in a few weeks.:D

I believe this guitar is featured in the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine, is it not?

it's been a decade? i guess nobody does ... ;-)

Yes indeed, that's the one in VG. It looks cleaner in this post.

Sorry I only have 79,999.99 can't do it:D

No, i really would never pay 80.000 for this, even if i was a rich man.

Call me strange, but I'm always amazed by collector guitars. No one's going to pay $80 000 for a guitar to actually play. Therefore it's an investment - NOT played. And to not play a guitar is to disrespect it.. so why are poeple who love guitars so much disrespecting the ones thye believe are of the highets value?!?

lovely guitar, but dont forget some collectors cant actually play guitar ,so they dont get used, and get there kick by just owning them,and for some people it would be just a commodity,i have a friend who spent 125,000k for a damian hurst,he kept it 6 months and just sold it at auction for just over 300.000k ..and whoever buys that guitar its a win win situation i think.. but as a collector and a pro i know what id rather have for my money ..the penguine!

I didn't think that stereo pickups were around in 1957.

Has any Gretsch sold for this amount?

I guess the White Penguin would be the one, since they only made a few ... but they don't have the panache of a Les Paul standard - what famous players made their mark with a White Penguin?

I think collectors only collect guitars like this because they can just let it sit in a case for another couple decades so they can make more money off of it. If this thing costs 80 grand now, can you imagine how much more it could cost in 20 or 30 years?

i think jack white from the white stripes owns a couple ..and plays them..

Great for jack white , he plays them ,but im pretty he never any crazy amount for them , !!

Jack did pay for his penguin. 70k. It's a nice one.

All the 26 guitars of Bono are collectable high valued guitars and he play all

Only problem really is you have to go to Gruhns to get it. I went there on a US trip last year and the guy took offence when I started playing some Tommy Emmanuel.... Apparantly i was going to damage the frets with my fingerstyle!

Screw him and his smelly guitar store!!

@rockability:

Wow. The guy sounds like a real jerk. I wonder how offended he would be if I walked in and started playing some Malcolm Young riffs on one of his Gretschs. 8-)

Why not pay 80k for this guitar? if you have the money its a sound investement and you get to play the real deal. If you spend 50k on a ferrari its only worth 20k as soon as you have driven it away, this will hold its value and probably go up 10k in a year. If you can afford 80k for this then you probably have loads of money anyway. Its all relative to your bank balance. Its probably no better sounding than a 50s round up but thats not really the point with vintage for me otherwise I would just buy a terrada built guitar.

Ferrari has to be a major chick magnet. How does the Penguin rank in that department?

I mean it's harder to play a guitar well than drive a car.

Ferrari has to be a major chick magnet. How does the Penguin rank in that department?

– sleepy

– Sleepy

well? if you want a bunch of middle age men w/ ponytails "chasing" you???... :P

Register Sign in to join the conversation