Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Anyone here old enough to ……….

Hello folks,

Have a question for someone who is old enough to remember music stores in Lower Manhattan during the early-to-mid-fifties.

If you are, maybe you want to get back with me!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust / www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hi there, Hans (the Ed Ball of Guild guitars, who’s book is very helpful). Thanks for your help understanding my Guilds.

Hi there, Hans (the Ed Ball of Guild guitars, who’s book is very helpful). Thanks for your help understanding my Guilds.

– Bob Howard

No offense to Ed, but I believe you have that backwards.

No offense to Ed, but I believe you have that backwards.

– Joe Desperado

Agreed... Hans is MUCH older (and therefore wiser) than I am!

Hans - do you mean lower Manhattan, or midtown (48th Street)? And for me, no memories until the mid- to late ‘60s.

By the way, I picked up my 1971 Guild D50 at Guild’s warehouse (or storage facility?) in Hoboken, through some family connection - someone knew someone. It’s still going strong.

Dang I thought Guild was out of Hoboken long ago(?) 48th street scene ..I got back to early 70s for that.

Hans - do you mean lower Manhattan, or midtown (48th Street)? And for me, no memories until the mid- to late ‘60s.

By the way, I picked up my 1971 Guild D50 at Guild’s warehouse (or storage facility?) in Hoboken, through some family connection - someone knew someone. It’s still going strong.

– nielDa

Hello nielDa,

I mean Lower Manhattan; 3rd Avenue near the Bowery during the time that the 3rd Ave EL was still running, so that was before 1955.

If you know an old timer that may remember that area, I would love to hear from him or her!

As far as the Hoboken plant is concerned, during 1971 it was still used for storage and repairs. Great to hear that you still have the guitar.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust www.guitarsgalore.nl

I’ll ask around. Possibly Fred Gretsch or someone in the Gretsch company network may have some thoughts - have you tried contacting them?

As an owner of 5 Guild guitars from Hoboken to Oxnard and three Guild Thunder series amps, it’s very nice to see you drop by.

Sadly, I’ve no relevant information to offer you.

thrive

No relevant information, but a nice pic for our Guild friends. (1954 Guild X150)

Thanks Shane!

Sincerely,

– Hans Moust

Hey Hans, are you ok? I'm worried about you. After I sent you pics and story, you didn't reply if you were able to access the production quality photos and answer the few questions I had.

Hey Hans, are you ok? I'm worried about you. After I sent you pics and story, you didn't reply if you were able to access the production quality photos and answer the few questions I had.

– shane kislack

No need to worry Shane! Been away for a week! No phones, no computers ....... quite nice actually!

Will get back with you a.s.a.p.

Sincerely,

Register Sign in to join the conversation