Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Anybody happily gone from vintage to modern Gretsch guitars?

No neck profile options, but Fender did have nut/fingerboard width options somewhere in the pre-BS days. I'm not sure when that started or ended, but there were different widths, and they came with a capital letter for each one. I think most dealers had standard width necks, but I recall playing a strat with an exceptionally small neck, and it wasn't modified, and there are wider ones out there too.

Neck shape isn't a huge issue for me - except that I have never picked up a Falcon I have liked the neck on! I have never played an old Falcon so I can't say if I would like them either. I have a Gibson with a big chunky neck, a CS Strat with a middle sized neck and a 6120 with a skinny neck. Love 'em all. Used to gig three sets on a 6120 with a skinny neck no problems - maybe I'm just lucky. My arthritis is in my right hand.

I started on early '60s 6120s which are obviously the double-cut versions. When I got my first Setzer, a brand new '99 6120 SSU, I was amazed that the neck felt almost identical to those on the early '60s 6120s I had owned. I now have a wonderful SSLVO which still feels a lot like my old 6120s but without the dull lacquer and the dents. I quite like dull lacquer but don't like dents, at least not on the back of the neck where my thumb goes. I much prefer the sound of the Setzers over the old '60s 6120s because the bracing helps them twang better. So in a way I can say I have switched to the new Gretsches quite happily.

I also have a new "Players edition" Jet with Broad'tron pickups and it sounds incredible - plays beautifully too. Still sounds like a Gretsch to me. The neck is not the soft V of the 6120 but it's still slim and feels wonderful. It's actually better sounding (to me) than other more traditional Jets I have owned. It has some amazing chime, complexity and shimmer to the sound and when you wind up the gain it rocks better than a Power Jet.

The new stuff works for me.

Just out of interest what are Broadtron pickups?

Here you go: https://www.gretschguitars....

I suspect they are Gretsch's answer to a PAF humbucker. Not so much because they sound like a PAF - they don't - but because they can probably easily be replaced by one. I haven't measured but it looks like they are about the size of a regular Gibson-style PAF. So a guitar with Broad'trons could easily be switched over to PAFs if desired.

I wasn't sure about them at first but they have really grown on me. I am a huge fan of the TV Jones Filter'tron Classic and Classic +. The Broad'tron is quite similar in tone - they definitely have that wonderful "quack" in the bridge position and treble detail in the neck, but if anything they have a bit more going on in the upper mids and highs. If anything they are slightly less brittle in the very top end so handle overdrive extremely well.

They're a real surprise and very Gretsch-sounding.

Here you go: https://www.gretschguitars....

I suspect they are Gretsch's answer to a PAF humbucker. Not so much because they sound like a PAF - they don't - but because they can probably easily be replaced by one. I haven't measured but it looks like they are about the size of a regular Gibson-style PAF. So a guitar with Broad'trons could easily be switched over to PAFs if desired.

I wasn't sure about them at first but they have really grown on me. I am a huge fan of the TV Jones Filter'tron Classic and Classic +. The Broad'tron is quite similar in tone - they definitely have that wonderful "quack" in the bridge position and treble detail in the neck, but if anything they have a bit more going on in the upper mids and highs. If anything they are slightly less brittle in the very top end so handle overdrive extremely well.

They're a real surprise and very Gretsch-sounding.

– JimmyR

Thanks for the reply. I've not heard of them. just been reading about them on the net. Curious to hear them will check them out when I get a chance. Curious to hear "how Gretsch" they sound for a new creation. Best Andrew

Register Sign in to join the conversation