Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Any love for the 6124?

1950s Streamliners, like 6120's, never had a full 16" wide lower bout. They fall in around 15.75" (give or take).

– kc_eddie_b

Interesting; am I correct in thinking they went to a 17" lower bout at some point?

The last year for single-cut Streamliners was '58. The name was applied to thin body double-cutaways in the early '70's but they were still 16" - ish.

Here's a late '60s one sheet flyer showing the double cutaway Streamliner. Note geek, upper right. Anyone can look cool playing a streamliner!

I've owned two 1959 6124's. They're really quiet nice and I like the `59's because they have the lighter Trestle Bracing and the Ebony fingerboard. The basically PAF FilterTron's I think are a better sounding FilterTron. Gretsch was a little more into the early version FT's. they had longer pole scres which, I think, gave them better clarity and more warmth.

I've owned two 1959 6124's. They're really quiet nice and I like the `59's because they have the lighter Trestle Bracing and the Ebony fingerboard. The basically PAF FilterTron's I think are a better sounding FilterTron. Gretsch was a little more into the early version FT's. they had longer pole scres which, I think, gave them better clarity and more warmth.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

It's somewhat unusual to see a break from what I have more often seen as the consensus that PAF and Pat No filters are more or less sonically the same. You are the first one to come down on saying that the longer pole pieces comport a sonic distinction.

For my part, I've never heard a PAF filter I didn't like but I've had good experiences with 60s filters as well.

On the ebony board aspect, I have a 59 6118 and it has a rosewood board--a fairly light colored Rickenbacker looking one at that. So there are some slight variations at that time. It is also my understanding that some are 21 and others are 22 frets.

Interesting; am I correct in thinking they went to a 17" lower bout at some point?

– Journeyman

Unless it was in the 70s when my Gretsch knowledge goes from circa 1 to zero, then no.

The late 60s renaissance version of the Streamliner above is to me actually the Gretsch with the most perfect specs. Supertrons, real F holes, no mute clutter. Bigsby might be nice but it's easy to add that in. I had a Monkees for a bit from which the later Streamliner evolved and this is why my affinity for those specs.

The last year for single-cut Streamliners was '58. The name was applied to thin body double-cutaways in the early '70's but they were still 16" - ish.

– lx

I think I had the Streamliner confused with the Electromatic, which I think started with a 16" (or thereabouts) lower bout and at some point went to a 17". Correct me if I'm still out to lunch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation