Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Any love for the 6124?

I saw this today:

Which got me looking to see what model Gretsch David Cassidy was playing. Best I could find was it was the 6124. It has peaked my interest. I had a 1961 Epiphone Century that I always regretted letting go of. I've always wanted to get another single pickup at the neck guitar. Can you gentleman please enlighten me about the 6124.

IIRC that's an Anniversary, correct?

Loads of them out there -- made for a good 15 years or so -- even really clean survivor ones, 2 finishes available, single or double pickup -- and reasonable prices.

Well basically, it was the simplest guitar Gretsch made with top line components. To me, simple is good. If you buy one make sure it has a Filtertron pickup. Some people like the Hilotron, but I think the Filtertron is superior.

This one looks like a 6125 (Two Tone Green) model. The 6124 is a sunburst model. Totally a users choice.

Here's the link to the Gretschpages database:

Lee

The Annie in the video is something custom/modded: all white, block markers, no Annie badge. Single pickup Gretsches are highly under-rated.

DC Birdman is kinda on it, but not quite. Yes, the Annie is/was available in those myriad varieties, but the number is key to identifying which is which.

• 6117 - Sunburst twin pick-up
  • 6118 - Smoke Green twin pick-up
  • 6124 - Sunburst single pick-up
  • 6125 - Smoke Green single pick-up

But THAT guitar doesn't look like an Annie. Looks more like a Clipper to me. Biggest giveaway is no Anniversary plaque on the headstock, but there are other differences too - pick-up looks wrong, fret markers looks like humpbacks, etc.

And don't forget any Bigbsy on Annie is not original. Have any factory Bigsby-on-Annie ever been confirmed?

LX, I guess you type quicker than me

Deke, I'll trade my typing skills for your guitar skills any day. I do see a mudswitch so a '58 Streamliner is also a possibility, but it's all too hard to make out.

After reviewing this a bit, I think Streamliner.

Lee

Ah, bless ya

The Streamliner has bound 6120-type f-holes though, this looks more like the unbound Annie-type with the cut-off points.

Having said that, I believe the Clipper had dot fret markets so we’re still in the dark...

You gentlemen's depth of knowledge on all Gretsch never cease to amaze me.

It's an obsession that only gets worse with time -- but in a good way. I'm leaning towards it being a Streamliner for one reason: the guitar strap. Notice that it's wrapped around the headstock: Streamliners only had a plastic peg on the bottom, never any proper strap knobs. Could still be a mudswitched Clipper too. And by accounts, Cassidy was serious about guitar.

I'd always thought that it was a natural maple finish '50s Streamliner. One curious thing, in a close-up it looked as if Keith's Gretsch had the pickguard mount still attached to the guitar, but no pickguard. Maybe it was just a clear guard and I didn't see it.

I’m leaning towards 50s Streamliner too. It’s definitely a natural finish and the body is too deep to be a Clipper. More of it in this performance of “I Can Hear Your Heartbeat”

Probably just a prop.

If you're a big fat jazzbox fan like I am, filter or super on the neck, no bridge post. There you go!

Lee

Actually it’s all here..

http://gretschpages.com/for...

In the RIP David Cassidy thread....

Check out Tartan Phantom’s post (no 13)

“In the first season, David uses several prop guitars for the song-miming segments-- one of which is a transitional '58 6189-91 Gretsch Streamliner-- most likely from the first batch (266xx) since it has the combination of a long truss rod cover, no "Electromatic" logo on the peghead, a single Filtertron with a tone switch and one (missing) volume knob on the cutaway, AND hump block inlays. The neo-classic inlays didn't show up until the next '58 batch (271xx)”

Nice detective work Tartan Phantom... and BTW, Cassidy is one of the worst lip syncer I've ever seen!

All of the variations on the Anniversary models are my favourite in the Gretsch line. I made a 6124 into a very nice jazz box by adding an ebony tailpiece and carving a good ebony bridge. The current pickup is a reissue Guild Little Bucker.

And here is a 6125 conversion to a 6118 that is now my main guitar. http://gretschpages.com/for...

The single pickup Annies are usually less expensive than their dual pickup sisters, but many of the Brooklyn made ones are in need of neck resets, so that has to be figured into the price, along with fret work, although it's possible to get lucky and find one that doesn't need either.

I have not found any Streamliners with the tone switch. And most of the listings seem to reference neck resets. Thanks for all of the responses so far.

My '58 6190 Streamliner has a tone-switch (and trestle bracing).

I think pretty much any Streamliner with a FilterTron should have a tone switch. Never say never, but that's the general rule.

Cool guitar, Ed. Remind me, how close is that to mine by serial?

My '58 6190 Streamliner has a tone-switch (and trestle bracing).

– kc_eddie_b

Purdy, and I'm sure it sounds fantastic. What years did the Streamliners have 16" lower bouts?

Purdy, and I'm sure it sounds fantastic. What years did the Streamliners have 16" lower bouts?

– Journeyman

1950s Streamliners, like 6120's, never had a full 16" wide lower bout. They fall in around 15.75" (give or take).

Cool guitar, Ed. Remind me, how close is that to mine by serial?

– Deke Martin

Hi Deke... I don't recall where your Streamliner falls, but my '58 is on the north end of the #271xx batch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation