Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Annie survey

Who's more into 2 tone green? Who's more into sunburst? Back in the day I remember seeing more two-tone ones.

Oddly, neither finish has ever really appealed strongly to me. I suppose if forced to make a choice, I would select the two-tone version.

Two-tone green!

I've never been a fan of sunburst guitars in general......

Two-tone green!

I've never been a fan of sunburst guitars in general......

– senojnad

I'm not crazy about the teardrop sunburst or whatever they call it where the sunburst part is a circular-ish part only in the center of the guitar. I prefer sunburst that follows the contours of the guitar.

Even then...

What's the point of a sunburst Anni? Any guitar can be sunburst. EVERY guitar has been sunburst.

How many guitars can be Anniversary green?

One, that's how many.

What's the point of a sunburst Anni? Any guitar can be sunburst. EVERY guitar has been sunburst.

How many guitars can be Anniversary green?

One, that's how many.

– Proteus

Brilliant and Funny!

Best looking Annie:

– drmilktruck

Since we are here in the vintage section I forgot about that one: it is quite simply one of the best Annies ever -- and it's a modern Gretsch. Also, I think the thumbnail markers work best without binding.

This choice of mine will come as no surprise to anyone of the regulars around here but just to be official, any of the Annies that aren't a sunburst. (Wish there was a puke icon ) I like all the two-tones but I have a soft spot for the green version as an early '60 one was the first Gretsch I played.

There will never be a puke emoji on here. If you think you need one, you’re probably expressing an opinion best left unexpressed.

I vote Copper Mist. Two tone green will certainly do in a pinch.

Both of mine are greens and that was my utter preference for years and years. But I've softened to sunburst over the last few years, probably in part because no one plays sunburst these days and I always tend to avoid the herd. But SB has to be done right and (as BH above focuses on) Gretsch has put out some odd SB finishes over the years.

when I first got my 1959 Annie in 1966, I had no idea that Gretsch had another version of the Annie in the two tone green. there was no internet to use to view all of the different models that Gretsch had. sure, I had seen the double cut Country Gentleman in guitar stores, but no Annies in two tone green. and never knew about the orange 6120. I've learned a lot about Gretsch guitars since I joined this forum 11 1/2 years ago. and one thing for sure, it doesn't matter what color a guitar is, it's how well it plays. I enjoy playing my 1959 Sunburst Annie.

Two tone green. I've been downsizing in anticipation of selling my house (closes on Jan. 31st by the way) and now have only three Gretsches; all Annies and two of them are two tone smoke green. Well, I'll have the second green one in a few days. Its a 1959-60 single pu Annie with trestle bracing that will get converted to a 2 pu version. Well, that's too much info, just excited I guess. Two tone green.

You have a beauty Sarge.

Beautiful sunburst pattern.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

thanks, John.

Two tone green for me too. I could add more but Proteus has already nailed it... as usual.

I like the green. Is it only the modern incarnations that refer to it as two tone smoke green?

I prefer my Annies orange.

I would have loved to see the mid-60s metallic blue Annie finish back when it was new, as I think I’d love it. The very few I’ve encountered are so faded (to a not so unattractive gold) that it’s hard to know for sure.

I love the two-tone green but curious what other color Annies left the factory back in the day - Sunburst of course, Metallic Blue, Bamboo Yellow/Copper Mist, Red, any others?

Two Tone Smoke Green is one of the coolest Gretsch colors around. I never liked Sunburst on any guitar, even though I have a 55 LP Junior that sounds amazing.
My first Gretsch that I bought in '87 was a 64 Two Tone Green Annie. I bought it then because no one else had a green guitar like that. And after that I still got a 59 Two Tone Green Annie. So yes, it's the green for me....

Neither burst or green have ever really done it for me. I gotta go with Bamboo Yellow/ Copper mist. It’s like choosing Dr. Pepper over Coke or Pepsi.

Register Sign in to join the conversation