Vintage Gretsch Guitars

After all it is a well played 6120.

I once designed - in concept only - a B-bender Bigsby and it looks like that guitar has exactly what I hand in mind. I never knew they existed!

IIRC Fred Gasmoney has one of those B-Benders attached to a foot pedal. Looks to be a '59 judging by the 5 piece neck. Is it my eyes or is that neck heel a bit slimmer than average? I've seen that same thing on a couple of '59 Clippers, also with 5 piece necks.

This 6120 has been my main rock and roll guitar since 1990. Finally needs a neck set. Yes that’s a B bender on it as well.

this guitar is a honky tonk hero.

It’s in the best hands for a tune up.

IIRC Fred Gasmoney has one of those B-Benders attached to a foot pedal. Looks to be a '59 judging by the 5 piece neck. Is it my eyes or is that neck heel a bit slimmer than average? I've seen that same thing on a couple of '59 Clippers, also with 5 piece necks.

– lx

Clippers w/ 5 piece necks .. weren't they more lo-end... would that neck style be a more hi-end kinda thing?

This 6120 has been my main rock and roll guitar since 1990. Finally needs a neck set. Yes that’s a B bender on it as well.

this guitar is a honky tonk hero.

It’s in the best hands for a tune up.

– Gasmoney

Signed by Big Sandy!

This guy played it one night too

Clippers w/ 5 piece necks .. weren't they more lo-end... would that neck style be a more hi-end kinda thing?

– DCBirdMan

Yup, that's what you'd think, but not Gretsch. The fancy pre/post-war Synchros had 5 piece necks. Then they showed up again with the Gent prototypes around '57/8 and in '59 many electric archtops had them, including the first batch of thinline Clippers. I've documented two of these and this is one of them.

I knew it was Fred's guitar the moment I saw it. Very cool that Setzer played it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation