Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Adding Lace Alumitones to Gretsch Country Gent. Which colour?

I'm putting new Lace Alumitone V90 dog ears on my Baldwin era Country Gent. (they're cheap just now in the Guitar Center January sales, so I can just about afford them)

I can't decide on either black or cream covers.. 8-o Link...

Votes on what will look best please?

I've thought about a similar mod on a Nashville, and was looking for chrome-cased dog-ear P-90s. Not nearly as easy to find as the black or cream-cased units. I'd vote for black on the Gent (and nix the guard).

Thanks KCeddieB. I quite like the Baldwin square-ish guard, although funnily enough I was looking just now, as you wrote, at an e-bay 6120 Chet guard :D

I don't dislike the Baldwin era guard... I just feel like all that gold will compete (visually) with the black P-90s.

I just feel like all that gold will compete (visually) with the black P-90s. KCeddieB

Good point.. I was thinking that because of the light guard, that I should put cream V90's on it... but then something tells me it might not look so good, and cream covers will cheapen it visually.. :(

I don't know.. ....Maybe I should see if I can wangle a set of cream and a set of black V90 covers from them. (I can only try ) :D

how about this? mvp gretsch reverbnation.com/brianrichman

At over $350 plus EU import duty, plus 25% Vat, per pickup, and all plus postage, I'll give it a miss ..

It would work out at about $ USD $1,000 a pair.. :(

At over $350 plus EU import duty, plus 25% Vat, per pickup, and all plus postage, I'll give it a miss ..

– richard brown

– ritchie

thats why I made that myself, from kent armstrong 40.00 pickup and some screws and aluminum from Lowes about 10.00 on materials

thats why I made that myself, from kent armstrong 40.00 pickup and some screws and aluminum from Lowes about 10.00 on materials.. mvp gretsch reverbnation.com/brianrichman

Wow! I thought it was an early TK Smith pickup..

I checked out the price of them.. $360.00 or so each.!!!

This is why I want Lace Alumitone V90's ; (mostly for the clean sound, although for me, some of the over-driven sounds are OK..)

Link...

I'm in love with these. What's the difference in size between a FilterTron rout and a humbucker rout?

What's the difference in size between a FilterTron rout and a humbucker rout? drmilktruck

The Alumitone is not an exact humbucker size, as the transformer lug protrudes (silver tab in your pic) but it fits into a humbucker sized rout. eg. there will be a little space between the rout or humbucker frame and the pickup sides. Some ppl put a thin fold of foam in between. You can get the exact sizes from the Lace Alumitone size pdf. on their site.

However you can also order standard Alumi 90's (soapbar size with twin coils or without ( or indeed any Alumitone anodized pickup )) in blue, or green or red or gold etc, and they will fit.

The reason that I'm going for the V90's, with dog ears (apart from the classic look) is that it will fit the filtertron rout exactly with no modding at all. (sits on top, and the transformer is a small downward protrusion) and will cover my present Baldwin frame screw holes. (and it will be very easy to make spacers and make some height adjusters with little springs.)

I don't want to hack into my Country Gent at all, or add any screw holes, and I want to be able to return it exactly to original condition & 'screw hole free' if required.

Good one you Ritchie - go for the black ones and have fun! And you're wise to keep the mods reversible on that Gent, I had one of those ('71 I think) and I gotta be honest, those filtertrons sounded really good and the neck played like a dream. So enjoy the mod, but keep all the bits in case you get a hankering one day for the way it was!!!

Another vote for black.

Having used Alumitones before I say they're great pickups!

Can sound single coil without the hum.

Much better than most schemes I've seen for doing that.

They've got a nice sound too. Full range and bright, but can be mellowed out with the pots too.

What's not to like?8-)

Thanks Yettoblaster.. Most people here don't like Lace pickups at all.

I have Lace D100 humbuckers on a few guitars, and 3 strats with Lace Sensor Golds, and I love Lace pickups..

I have never tried Alumitones, but I hope that the sound will work well on my Gent. I don't like TV Jones and the other similar variants much at all, and Alumitones might give me what I want sonically.

I just love the clarity of sound of the Alumitone demos that I've heard..

have you seen these? thinking they would look good on a country gent. Link...

Check WD Music Products for Kent Armstrong pups. I think he makes chrome cover dogears. I have a noiseless soapbar HP 90 of his that is to die for.

I'm in love with these. What's the difference in size between a FilterTron rout and a humbucker rout?

– drmilktruck

– drmilktruck

Yeah, I'm in love with those too, except in Gold. - 8-)

And I'm going to put 'em on my Athena Rosa (a February of 2002 6119 Tennessee Rose. - :D - (I'm swapping all the chrome and aluminum for Gold.)

Have you seen these? thinking they would look good on a country gent. LarryR

Yes, the country version of Alumitones..I agree, they would look great. However, the size is not right which is why I want a P90 dogear footprint and I can't hack into my Gent to make them fit. They are also more expensive, and not yet available in anodised gold I think..

@JohnS.. I had Kent Armstrong make me some LP Recording pickups, (hi-impedance) which I like a lot, but I want to go low-impedance, and Alumitones sound wonderfully clean and clear to me, and very musical.

Really, I am of the opinion that high impedance is a quite passe and tired design now, and Alumitones are the sound I'm after.. (of course most people still like the old hi-impedance design, and good luck to them, but it's not for me anymore.)

Interesting that British guitar builder Jim Burns is generally credited with being the inventor of the low-impedance pickup, well before Les Paul....

Alumitones can also sound quite acoustic-like, because of the higher frequency range, (and the extended mid and bottom end) which is interesting to me, and they remind me a little of my original Les Paul Recording low impedance pickups, but more efficient, and with expanded dynamics and frequency range.

I have EMG low-impedence actives in some of my guitars, but IMO Lace Alumitone lo-impedance passives do it better,.

i had been looking at the lace alumitone pick ups this post has further sparked my interest

Well said. Tomato Tomato. Anywho, good luck with the mods.

How do you think they would work in a baritone guitar?

Register Sign in to join the conversation