Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Add on trestle bracing

Had to share this one, it’s really clear how much T bracing stiffens up the neck joint.

Great shot! I'm always curious what the insides of a chambered, hollow or semi hollow guitar looks like.

So cool! Amazes me the work that you do. Is the measuring for something like this a nightmare?

Wow. Never again will the question of trestle bracing need complex explanation - just point the enquirer to this thread. If ever there was a candidate for a sticky this'd be it.

Nice work, Curt, as always.

So, what is this bad boy, Club? it looks big enough, but could just as easily be an Annie, I guess.

I just noticed it's a combination of heavy and light. It has the little plinths only found on light bracing, but the centre block only found on heavy bracing.

Cool...

Wow. Never again will the question of trestle bracing need complex explanation - just point the enquirer to this thread. If ever there was a candidate for a sticky this'd be it.

Nice work, Curt, as always.

So, what is this bad boy, Club? it looks big enough, but could just as easily be an Annie, I guess.

– Deke Martin

Thanks Deke, It started life as a 62 Anniversary!

So cool! Amazes me the work that you do. Is the measuring for something like this a nightmare?

– Suprdave

Measure?

Yeah measuring and then getting the proportions right took some time. I'm amazed that the old schoolhouse wood has the same grain structure as what's on the guitar.

Then it was like this for a couple of years.

You should put some trestles in that bass!

Did you add the trestles specifically to stiffen up the neck joint? Or were you fighting feedback, or?

If ever there was a candidate (before/after) to demonstrate how trestles change the tone of a guitar, that's the guitar.

it's looking amazing!

the motives are even a little more nefarious than just fighting feedback.

it's one of my two main guitars. This one wass previously an anniversary, now modded to be a tenny.

the 1960 tenny I have has the half trestling and a PAF... it feeds-back in all the right places and has an overall incredible tone. I wanted both guitars to be as similar as possible after a few shows where the 1962 tenniversary just didn't cut the mustard.

We talked about the difference in pick-ups and the difference in trestling. So...ultimately we decided to change both!

I'd love to hear your descriptions of how the trestles changed the tone and feel of that guitar. I know we've talked about trestles quite a bit on here, but rare is the occasion to actually compare trestles vs none in the SAME GUITAR...

Absolutely. I'm a scientist by trade and I can't believe I missed the chance to do a case study! I have some video clips of the before, but nothing studio quality. but I'll absolutely write something up and try and provide some comparable points.

It's difficult to see in the small images but it's crazy how the grain matches.

This one looked like this.

– Curt Wilson

Is that the original neck block, or did you already beef it up for the trestlifying? I wouldn't have guessed that there would be such a large block for the little dovetail that it's holding.

That's the factory block. I assume it's that large because some of the earlier smaller blocks failed.

My '58 Streamliner has the same massive tenon block. I would have thought the HiLo Annies went back to the small tenon block of the '50's but apparently not.

Time to unclamp and to apply some binding.

I see no straps or whips, not that I would know if they're needed.

Amazing work Curt, Its great to see good old American Craftsmanship alive and well. That grain match is like a million to one, I'd say that you are on the right Path

Register Sign in to join the conversation