Vintage Gretsch Guitars

A tale of two ‘55 6121’s…

Time to resurrect this thread guys! It's actually long over due but my life has been such a whirlwind that guitar stuff has been sacrificed.

Hoping the add a photo from your computer feature is back or this will be a disappointing post. Here's the resurrected "donor '55 6121", with it's single P-90 (junior style) format, vintage neo/ebony fretboard, locking tuners, and added on-board effect. The guard is actually leather (for now). The piece of '50s tortoise celluloid I got is kind of thick and I was concerned it would not work with the contour of the top. The guitar is still in KC, and I'm in NC so I haven't played it much... but she's back making music (as promised)!

Looks great ! What is the added in-board effect?

it looks great, Ed ! what are you doing in NC ?

Hi Ed, I still need to visit, or if you happen to be by my way please stop by. Your Jr. looks cool!

it looks great, Ed ! what are you doing in NC ?

– Sgt Rock

Umm... he lives there now. For a while now, actually.

What's it been now, Ed? 8-10 months or so? For some reason I'm thinking longer, but it's been awhile since we talked.

What a fine looking instrument, single p90, Bigsby, a hollow bodied LP junior, that really oozes cool. Bet it sounds killer

Looks great ! What is the added in-board effect?

– eCastro

There was a lot of routed ugliness under the guard, so I decided to fill it up with something unexpected (for a '55 6121)... it's the Black Ice overdrive. That's what the extra knobs is for!

http://www.blackiceoverdriv...

Umm... he lives there now. For a while now, actually.

What's it been now, Ed? 8-10 months or so? For some reason I'm thinking longer, but it's been awhile since we talked.

– Tartan Phantom

Yea Rob... it's year at the end of April. Hard to believe. I honestly wish I were back in KC (especially after getting my taxes done today)!

Yea Rob... it's year at the end of April. Hard to believe. I honestly wish I were back in KC (especially after getting my taxes done today)!

– kc_eddie_b

wow ! where have I been ? anyway, glad to see ya around Ed. and thanks Rob.

Very cool project Ed! I love it when guitars are brought back to life. And who could argue with a P90!

Time to resurrect this old thread. I’ve always had a thing for the total Mutt guitars and that white cut up jet just cries “help me”. Hmmm.... Hey Ed!,,

So yeah... let's update everyone on the latest chapter of this '55 6121 (donor). Last we checked-in I was living in North Carolina, and the guitar was being brought back to some degree of playing condition in Kansas City. Ironically, I'm now back in Kansas City... but the guitar is under new stewardship somewhere in the Chicago area. I'll let Joe take up the commentary from here... but here's a last photo, showing it's "Junior with a P-90" state, prior to Joe's resurrection to something a little more attractive and playable! Take it away Joe.... !!

Register Sign in to join the conversation