Vintage Gretsch Guitars

A Gretsch CGP mystery question

I have yet another question about the Gretsch CGP guitar. According to legend the original "red Gretsch / sealed top/ "Fingerstyle Guitar"/ CGP guitar was given by Chet to his nephew who later sold it and since then has been missing in action. Even Paul Yandell in his quest and research for specs on the guitar for Gretsch's reissue of the same was unsuccessful in finding it for reference. So the CGP became a reality based on intuitiion, recollection, and speculation. And they made a great guitar thanks to Paul Yandell's devotion and hard work. But as I review the timely classic "Me and My Guitars" by Russ Cochran I see on page 81 a beautiful photo of Chet's original red ""CGP" guitar. The book was published in 2001. Question is did the original reappear with little or no fanfare or is this photo one that came from Chet's estate / artifacts? I got the impression that the photos were fairly recent. It's believeable that most of the other pics of guitars were taken while Chet was still with us, but the CGP is the one that has been missing for so long. The timeline just doen't seem to be accurate. Course there's lots of possibities that only a few people actually know. Just wondering if anyone else is wondering! I gotta quit watching all them Columbo reruns!!! Thanks, Steve

Wait for Richard Hudson to come along and respond. He was friends with Paul Yandell and he may have heard some stories about how the guitar was created.

The limited edition CGP is my longtime Gretsch desire. I got one last year but it arrived with undisclosed damage. I still want one.

I also love the story of the original carved & sealed-top 6120 and the mystique as to its location now.

Paul was really passionate about keeping Chet's legacy alive. Steve's recollection about the guitar's history pretty well matches up with what I remember also. It seems to me that the owner and guitar was finally discovered, but was never disclosed for whatever reason. Norm always kept such meticulous notes on things like this. I'm not much of a note guy and my recollections are getting dimmer.

I am at work now, and I'll have to dig out my MAMG book when I get home to see about the picture Steve is talking about. I know the Cochran brothers made some very high quality photos of Chet's guitars. According to Paul, Chet's main gripe about the guitar was its weight. With the solid maple carved top, it was very heavy, but such a beautiful sounding guitar. Chet was always a tinkerer, as was Paul. This stereo guitar came about in one of those tinkering periods.

Funny, one popped up near me this week: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-gui...

Nasty scratch on the back. Looks like it's down to the wood.

– Daddy Dog

At that price, it might be worth having it fixed.

Going off thread but as far as who-has-what-Chet guitars, maybe this knowledge went away with Paul Yandell, but I want to know who has the wide neck one-off Gent 12 on the Chet /Beatles album.

The wide neck Tenny single cut style 12 went to George Harrison who didn't like it because of the wide neck(!) probably because he was so used to the narrow neck on his Rick 12. That one is in the UK and pix of it appeared here years ago, I think from son of the owner (Sounds Inc.) who George gave it to.

But that gent 12 has been out of sight for half a decade or so...? The new Gent 12 necks pale in comparison to the wide neck on this righteous Gent U see here. If it ever surfaces in good shape I'll be raiding the 401k ...

Well I did find this * "Atkins never recorded with the Gretsch Country Gentleman 12-string guitar that was made especially for him and is pictured on the cover."

The 7-string Van Eps have wide necks -- at least 1.75" if not more.

The 7-string Van Eps have wide necks -- at least 1.75" if not more.

– lx

I was tempted to convert that wide neck rare (6108) one that windsordave found for me a few years ago... it was 1 - 14/16th ...to a 12 but clearly that would be desecration ... as it would be for a Van Eps... for now anyway I am having a custom made solid body 12 I will be showin' off in a while... with a full 2" wide neck like the 1960s B-45 and B-25 12 string acoustic were. This is why I am selling that Rick 650 conversion with it's 1 3/4 wide neck. To me it's an epic creation but interest has been tepid at best. This just proves what we all learn --just because you think something is totally epic and earth shaking, does not mean anyone else will.

Back to the original question... the red sealed-top 6120 is resting comfortably in a private collection in the US. I was offered an opportunity to photograph it for the 6120 book which I didn’t take advantage of because of travel costs. But the guitar is in good hands!

Boy, I wish the proud owner would follow the lead of Joe C and Tom with the "Dark Eyes" guitar and let folks know more about it and possibly see it up close and personal. It is IMHO an iconic instrument relative to Chet and his fans. It would be a huge kind gesture! They wouldn't have to have a "two-mule travelin' show" or anything like that. But it would sure be nice for folks to be able to enjoy it too! Just pine-ing away I guess!!! Thanks to one and all for the responses!! Others please chime in too! Steve

Back in the late '80's or early '90's sometime - not sure exactly when - Dean Turner down in Texas had an personal 'unofficial' Gretsch museum of a sorts, and he eventually had to dispense with it and was selling off the collection. Among guitars for sale was this 12-string, or so he said. It was not an outrageous price as I recall, but I can't remember what he wanted for it, but too rich for my blood in any event.

This just proves what we all learn --just because you think something is totally epic and earth shaking, does not mean anyone else will.

Now that's some wisdom right there.

The sealed top 6120 was sold at auction maybe 10-15 years ago. Sold for 39K IIRC. (This is THE guitar that changed the world in comparison the black 6120 thats for sale now 250K)

As Ed stated a very big vintage collector in the NYC area owns it. Perry Marguelof was his agent at the auction.

Going off thread but as far as who-has-what-Chet guitars, maybe this knowledge went away with Paul Yandell, but I want to know who has the wide neck one-off Gent 12 on the Chet /Beatles album.

The wide neck Tenny single cut style 12 went to George Harrison who didn't like it because of the wide neck(!) probably because he was so used to the narrow neck on his Rick 12. That one is in the UK and pix of it appeared here years ago, I think from son of the owner (Sounds Inc.) who George gave it to.

But that gent 12 has been out of sight for half a decade or so...? The new Gent 12 necks pale in comparison to the wide neck on this righteous Gent U see here. If it ever surfaces in good shape I'll be raiding the 401k ...

Well I did find this * "Atkins never recorded with the Gretsch Country Gentleman 12-string guitar that was made especially for him and is pictured on the cover."

– DCBirdMan

I believe Chet still had it in his collection. I recently saw a picture of Chet holding it in the 90s and now of course I can’t find it.

This just proves what we all learn --just because you think something is totally epic and earth shaking, does not mean anyone else will.

Now that's some wisdom right there.

– Proteus

I have learned this more time$ and way$ that I can recall. About to unveil another Demented Project here that will follow in the tradition.

Register Sign in to join the conversation