Vintage Gretsch Guitars

A couple of old Chets

Dave and I met up today, he gave me a gold Chet arm and I'm making him a new bridge base. Our guitars are both June 1972 but his is 009 and mine is the 241. Both guitars are somewhat modified, Dave's more so. I kind of like the Jolly red of Dave's Super a little better but I enjoy the deeper port wine red of my Deluxe. I recently used a paint pen to folly up some gold trim on my pickguard but still need a couple more gold knobs.

As you can see mine is much more roadworn than Dave and as it is a Deluxe it has less fancy trim

These show the difference in colour better.

Fabulous shots Bernie! Our 'cousins' look pretty good together, don't they? And they're set off nicely by both having Chet arms.

Bernie measured the output of Ray Butts pups and the neck is 12.5 and the bridge is 13.8. It looks at first blush that the bridge pup is a single coil but Bernie had a look underneath and though potted, appears to be a 'bucker as well although of a somewhat different design. But Ray was after all an innovator so nothing comes as a surprise.

Both of them are looking good!

They are both beautiful. I really like Baldwin era Gretsch guitars and these two are great examples.

Congratulations to both of you.

Two beautiful guitars !

Great job on the gold painted guard too Toxo,looks great.

BTW, we were playing through my '66 Pro Reverb - what a superb combination! We had fun with myself playing continuously while Bernie changed inputs, bright switch settings and controls to hear the differences.

I think it's prudent to add, as I did on the latest thread regarding the Van Epps for sale, that neither of these guitars from '72 are exhibiting any signs of binding rot.

The Baldwin era guitars of the late '60's that fall under Baldwin's ownership were a continuation of the manufacturing methods being used when Gretsch sold the company. When the changes - pickguard shape, pup covers & Burn's Box style truss rod - appeared on all models by early '72 - I think we can assume there was a simultaneous change in the glue used. Curt has educated us to the fact that binding rot originates with the glue and when the manufacturing facilities moved to Boonsville, there had to be a change in the glue used, even though no one has been able to verify that. I claim there was, using extrapolation of the fact that rot seemed for the most part, [decades later] to not be an issue after the move.

Register Sign in to join the conversation