Vintage Gretsch Guitars

A 57/58 Club that’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen

This Club surfaced recently. Late 57? Maybe 58. No serial # yet

I’ve seen some truly cool custom Clubs but this is one is one the tops. Even the surrounds are green.

Here’s the link to many nice HI RES photos.

https://www.hyperguitars.co...

Discuss.

Durn. It's an Anniversary Club. Smoke green over Cad green. Such a thing is rarely (ever?) seen. Looks like an authentic machine. Believable vintage sheen. Bet it sounds great clean.

Wonder what the ask is.

Sweet! My favorite Gretsch color is Green. Cadi or Smoked.

That's very cool indeed! I really like those matching green pup surrounds. S/N would be of interest to Ed, I'm sure.

There are four knobs instead of two...and no mud switch. My Spidey sense is tingling.

Edit: there is overspray in the pick up cavity. Verdict: not factory. Probably.

Notice the "trestles" for the Filtertrons: they aren't completely parallel from neck cavity to bridge cavity. I think these are the earlier iteration bracing blocks that connect the top to the back. I can see into the cavity and don't see the parallel braces running along the backside interior of the body. Interesting to see if the neck has the heel dowel/necklock screw.

Another edit: The treble side neck pick-up block seems to go over the overspray. You need those blocks to support the Filtertron. Also, judging by the wear marks on the front, if this was a modded caddy green, someone went to the trouble of stripping the lacquer down to the wood and doing a total respray, instead of doing the simpler thing of spraying over the caddy green. This may be something new...

Interesting little Bigsby; shouldn't it have a string retainer bar?

At first blush I was questioning why they went with a B3... but that's actually a modified B7.

I would appreciate having the serial number, but that hasn't surfaced yet. I've been told "the ask" is around US$12k.

First glance -- yep, a gorgeous guitar. Per Proteus, it looks like a Country Club dressed up like an Anni. (Nothing wrong with that idea other than the usual "refinish" concerns.)

The Bigsby and the 4 knobs in the lower bout raise serious questions for me.....

Nice. I agree with Senojnad.

Here's a wild guess: original caddy green CC with Dearmonds; refinished top to smoke green and added Filter'trons, Bigsby, and a second tone pot.

Here's a wild guess: original caddy green CC with Dearmonds; refinished top to smoke green and added Filter'trons, Bigsby, and a second tone pot.

– Journeyman

That sounds like a very well-educated guess -- rather than a "wild guess" -- IMO.

Texarock used to have one in a similar, possibly the same, finish. But his had DeArmonds, and, oddly enough, a mudswitch. Kind of the opposite of this one.

It's really pretty. Too bad they put big mahogany blocks against the braces and routed out the top. The blocks make it not really a hollow body anymore, at least acoustically.

Register Sign in to join the conversation