Vintage Gretsch Guitars

7676 - Assembled In Mexico

Hey Folks.. I Have What Seems to be a 7676.

It Has an "Assembled in Mexico" Label, It looks like a Country Gentleman, But I Am Told its what's known as a Southern Belle..

EXCEPT - The Southern Belle Model number appears to Be 7670..

So Help Me Figure out what I Actually Have Please!

Thanks!

Pictures and serial number would help immensely.

Serial Number is 4-3016

So - April 1983, Guitar 16?

That looks like a Baldwin-era guitar, from the serial I'd say April 1973, guitar 16.

I agree. Baldwin-style pickguard and switches... Didn't know they'd gone to Mexico for assembly, though.

Ed, are you around tonight?

There were a very few Gent/Belle things in '81.. .when all other activity ceased in '80?

its an 83, not a 73 folks.. Model 7676

Assembled In Mexico..

I Do not Believe that the 7676 Existed In The 70's and There was no Mexico assembly Until Boonesville Shutdown,

So 80's.

My Question is - Everyone Lists the Southern Belle as 7670, this is 7676, you Have another Southern Bell also Listed as Model 7676 on This Very Site. Hoping Someone can Tell Me the Differences Between the 7670 and 7676..

Thanks!

Here You Go, From This Site -

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

I Have a Southern Belle, 1983.. Just Wondering About the Differences in Model Designation..

I Have Seen 7176, 7670, and 7676 Referenced.. Could Be Just Mistakes Due to Rarity.

BTW, this one Originally Had No Pickguard..

If the "Assembled in Mexico" is a small rectangular gummed label affixed to the back of the headstock, then this guitar was for sale for many many months on ebay several years back. As I recall, the seller was trying to sell it then for $2200, saying its "rarity" made it more valuable. Baldwin pulled the plug on Gretsch in December of 1980 but the Booneville plant actually didn't completely close until January of 1981. The last guitars out of the plant were a few stereo White Falcons. The label inside those guitars has a rubber stamped notification, "No Warranty". One of these White Falcons has been for sale on Ebay for about $5000 +/-, it being offered by several different Japanese sellers competing for your money, each with a different price. The Southern Belles were made in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, a few of them -- only a few dozen at most --for Baldwin and even fewer of them for Kustom of Canute, Kansas when that company briefly owned Gretsch after the Baldwin bankruptcy. About 5 years ago, an Ebay seller named "Himonry" or something similar out of Baltimore had a Southern Belle body husk, stained but unlacquered and otherwise ready for insertion of the electronics, for sale for $689 and it sold almost immediately

This Isn't that Guitar. Its a 7676 - Assembled in Mexico , Tony Bacon Has it Pretty Well Documented in his Gretsch Book..

The Question is - what is the Difference Between The 7670 Model Designation, and the 7676 Designation. That's all I am Asking. I Know what the Guitar Is, When it Was Manufactured, Where it was Manufactured, ect..

Here's what the "made in Mexico" labels look like that I've seen. This one is from a 1983 example.

To answer your question about the differences between the guitars with the two model designations, you need to contact Mike from the Gretsch Lost Weekend site. He's the go-to resource for post 1970 Gretsch info.

Lextnc's guitar is "Assembled In Mexico" with a standard Gretsch guitar label from the Baldwin era while kc_eddie_b's label is entirely different and says in fine print "Made in Mexico". The reason for this difference between "Assembled" versus "Made" even though both guitars come out of Mexico has to do with U.S. trade laws. The "Assembled in Mexico" guitar had the body and neck made in Mexico, but the staining and lacquering done in the USA, followed by the insertion of the electronics and the final assembly back in Mexico. This guitar would be from Baldwin. The "Made in Mexico" guitar was a product of the Kustom company in Canute, Kansas and had all the work and assembly -- including the staining and lacquering -- done in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The differences in dates between April and November of 1983 give the time frame between when Baldwin went belly-up and Kustom briefly owned the Gretsch brand

Lextnc's guitar is "Assembled In Mexico" with a standard Gretsch guitar label from the Baldwin era while kc_eddie_b's label is entirely different and says in fine print "Made in Mexico". The reason for this difference between "Assembled" versus "Made" even though both guitars come out of Mexico has to do with U.S. trade laws. The "Assembled in Mexico" guitar had the body and neck made in Mexico, but the staining and lacquering done in the USA, followed by the insertion of the electronics and the final assembly back in Mexico. This guitar would be from Baldwin. The "Made in Mexico" guitar was a product of the Kustom company in Canute, Kansas and had all the work and assembly -- including the staining and lacquering -- done in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The differences in dates between April and November of 1983 give the time frame between when Baldwin went belly-up and Kustom briefly owned the Gretsch brand

– ewkewk

Wow. Thanks for this. Lots of 'missing-link' information I hadn't a clue about. Gretsch in Mexico?

Register Sign in to join the conversation