Vintage Gretsch Guitars

68 Falcon in Victoria Canada

Found this at a little music store in Victoria. She's rough but original. And has tons of case candy including the original bill of sale. A bit pricey for me at 15k

'68 is prime binding rot era -- still all the candy is cool.

I say half of 15K would be a bit better. Curt had his kool '62 out here for 12 or something.a better guitar for less.

Not tonight, sorry- other musical commitments this evening, although we could maybe do coffee or some such afterwards if you're up for it?

And Paul- was that guitar at the little Mom and Pop (TempoTrend) on Burnside or at another shop closer to downtown?

What is up with the Bigsby? I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

Hipbone, that's a Gretsch Vibrato. It made it's debut on Falcons and Vikings in the early '60s. The spring is located inside the guitar's body and it features a telescopic arm. Here's one on my '69 WFS.

This era Falcon's had every conceivable Jimmy Webster gizmo on it. As it was originally his baby, they gave it everything he had for it. Great if you like all that stuff, but this guitar isn't worth near the asking price, especially given it's sadly from the heart of the binding rot era.

Like a white version of the viking I had. Nice guitars! Thats'a lot to pay for a paint job though

Like a white version of the viking I had. Nice guitars! Thats'a lot to pay for a paint job though

– Toxophilite

That's as succinct a way of describing the reality of this guitar as I can think of.

Found this at a little music store in Victoria. She's rough but original. And has tons of case candy including the original bill of sale. A bit pricey for me at 15k

– paul pigat

It doesn't get much better than that imo. Not sure about the price but cool guitar.

Note $15k Can. Just over $12k US today.

Did the gold sparkle binding rot like the white binding?

Did the gold sparkle binding rot like the white binding?

– Jim Austin

Sort of. From what I've seen, it tends to shrink and crack rather than crumble like white.

Which is also why I'm not sure that you can really say that being from '68 makes all that much of a difference for a Falcon in terms of binding rot. Most late '50s Falcons I've seen in recent years have cracked and shrunken binding too.

Hey- thanks to another thread, a question just popped into my head- that fretboard? Ebony?

That could be a border issue, perhaps.

Register Sign in to join the conversation