Vintage Gretsch Guitars

67 Gent seen

Neck binding is total toast.. body binding can get by. Anyone know what neck re bind runs? Couldn't get pix but take my word for it. Usually I see body binding in worse shape than neck. It's one those that has been in case for like 30 years... green tarnish on knobs and p/u covers. You know the scene.

Sounds like a money pit between the re-binding costs and the corroded state of the hardware. What is the seller asking for this nightmare??

Remember too that the body binding will need doing soon even if you could live with it now. Depending on what you could get it for, the restoration costs could quickly exceed its worth.

That's what I figured... I didn't even get it out of the case to check neck angle. Cosmetically clean...case was clean, back pad clean. He was at $1200.

With so many of these vintage 6122's manufactured, based on realistic asking prices, not a lot of folks looking for one of these are necessarily big into restoration, especially when they find out what those costs can run into. This sends them looking elsewhere or deciding on a reissue. I have to say the reissues don't come with issues and you can usually find nice ones, lightly played for a decent price.

With this guitar's issues we know about, not counting the possibility of neck or electronic problems, $1200 is very optimistic IMO. Perhaps pointing out these costs will enlighten the seller and he'll reduce the price. It's going to cost some serious coin for say Curt to restore it like he did to the lefty CC we just saw pics of.

Lots of people have reported mild binding rot staying stable for years when kept out of the case. I can't imagine a neck rebind being all that expensive if that's truly all it needs to suit your purposes. It's three pieces of plastic and some dots. And corrosion isn't that big of a deal to clean up. I dunno. If it's in decent structural shape, how much cheaper than $1200 could you possibly find one? I know if it was mine, based on your description, I sure wouldn't sell one that cheap. You could get more than that parting it out.

I saw a '60's Gretsch for sale that had the neck binding re-done but the body binding had started to go a few years after the neck work. You could make a career out of fixing that stuff.

Lots of people have reported mild binding rot staying stable for years when kept out of the case. I can't imagine a neck rebind being all that expensive if that's truly all it needs to suit your purposes. It's three pieces of plastic and some dots. And corrosion isn't that big of a deal to clean up. I dunno. If it's in decent structural shape, how much cheaper than $1200 could you possibly find one? I know if it was mine, based on your description, I sure wouldn't sell one that cheap. You could get more than that parting it out.

– Afire

How do you go about fixing corrosion that's pitted the base metal? Rust can be a surface issue and easily remedied, however corrosion which besets guitars, is the physical removal of material. Wouldn't you have to strip the remaining plate, thoroughly clean every pit - a light acid bath - and re-plate the affected parts to [partially] fill in the pits?

How do you go about fixing corrosion that's pitted the base metal? Rust can be a surface issue and easily remedied, however corrosion which besets guitars, is the physical removal of material. Wouldn't you have to strip the remaining plate, thoroughly clean every pit - a light acid bath - and re-plate the affected parts to [partially] fill in the pits?

– Windsordave

Well, it sounds like you're assuming severity of damage that Douglas Charles Birdman didn't actually specify. But even assuming there's some pitting, we all have our own peccadillos, but that's not one of mine. Clean off the green crud and that's good enough for me. I wouldn't necessarily expect a 50 year old piece of plated sheet metal to be smooth and shiny.

Well, every time I've seen a vintage guitar with green crud on any of it's hardware it's showing the results of the corrosion that's caused it. I've seen a couple vintage Gretsches for sale in the past few years here in Vancouver. One with plenty of green crud and one with it brushed off.

That's a fair preference for what you'd do if it was yours. I just wanted to know if there was something about restoring pitted hardware I wasn't aware of.

Register Sign in to join the conversation