Vintage Gretsch Guitars

64 Gent: This factory?

This wiring look factory? Thanks Gretsch-Heads!

They did use zip cord yes. that looks really clean though. The quick connect pigtail from the pickup looks right too.

Black electrical tape wadded up around the other connector and the yellow cap....probably not original.

Is it My Stroke ravaged eyes, or does the Neck P/u look like a replica of the original early 1960’s prototype design. Isn't that what T.V.'s Supertron is? if it is then that Guitar is a Rare Bird.

Some '64 Gents had a Supertron in the neck position.In the database,my '64 (63851-the refin green one) does not,but the very next one,63853,does,and I can recall seeing at least one new Gent in '64 with a Supertron.

@ Megabutter-do you have a S/N for the Gent pictured?

I wish mine had one or two instead of the silly filtertrons :(

Black electrical tape wadded up around the other connector and the yellow cap....probably not original.

I've had several Gretsches with wads of electrical tape covering solder joints. I think they actually did that at the factory.

I bought my 66 Annie new and like afire said the solder joints are taped from the factory. :)

My 70 CG had tape on some of the joints. Not all, oddly, but maybe there's a little wad of tape somewhere inside, longing to be free...

(NB- since the restoration about three years back, no tape. Works just as good, if not better.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation