Vintage Gretsch Guitars

63 Model 6001 Hauser Classical

NAWS. (No Affiliation With Seller.)

Have only run across one Gretsch classical at a show. Seemed generic looking but had a good tone. Supposed to be a solid spruce top. Dan Duffy had a Hauser and raved about it. This one doesn't have a headstock decal (and neither does the one in the '63 catalog FWIW) and the model # is missing from the label. The only thing that makes me believe that it's a Gretsch is the rarely seen Waverly white button strip tuners, which became standard on the 'vettes and Clippers from about '62-'63, just before the Van Ghents. The #6000 was the flashier version and the #6001 was the budget version. May have been made in Germany and imported? I'll check my Dan Duffy book tomorrow. SN# 59297.

The Gretsch label tends to convince me that it's a Gretsch. 8^)

kc_eddie_b Gretsch uses a special label with a florid antique-like font for the Hauser models -- and this isn't that label. Also note the label has no model number and was put in like an amateur would with that big slant.

Well that amateur worked at the Brooklyn factory then. Lots of Gretsch labels do not include a model stamp. I am aware of the Hauser specific label, but also aware of other Hauser specimens with this more standard Gretsch label. I've documented another example from this same batch. When I get home I'll see if I have a photo of it's label.

ewkewk... upon diving into my records, one of the other Hauser examples from this same #592xx batch (but earlier) does in fact carry the official Hauser style label. Here it is...

However, an example from next model year has the standard Gretsch orang/grey label (peeking out of the sound-hole).

Yet another specimen from even later carries the standard Gretsch label (with legible model stamp), apparently applied by the same (drunken?) factory worker.

HOWEVER... within these same batches reside Hauser guitars with the special Hauser label as well. Go figure!

kc_eddie_b, incidentally, I was told about 25 years ago by someone who was very well acquainted with a lot of the nuts and bolts about how the Gretsch factory actually operated that the reason many of the model numbers faded was that Gretsch used a simple ink stamping pad to apply the model numbers, that the ink from the ink stamping pad was susceptible to fading in sunlight, and that Gretsch used these thin, long individually- numbered stamps that were about as long as a standard pencil -- but thicker -- to apply the model number. Hence, for the Hauser model; 6001, one of the workers would stamp the ink stamp pad with the number "6" stamp and then press it to the label, followed by the "0" and so on.

Yes... it's pretty clear that the model stamps were simply rubber stamps applying ink transferred from a pad (like the post office uses). They were not thinking that these impressions would have to last 60+ years, and the pigments were pretty fugitive especially if they were exposed to UV light.

I have trouble however believing that the numbers were individually applied, at least for the more common models. If that were the case they wouldn't have tried the dual model numbers in '52/53 where a common stamp (i.e. 6192-3) would be used for to different finishes. But maybe for the less popular models, they would save the investment in specific four digit stamps, and create them the way you've described. I miss Dan Duffy at times like these!

Here’s another example, with the serial number hand written in .The 6001spacing is interesting as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation