Vintage Gretsch Guitars

62 Duo Jet — Sealed Tuners?

NFI.

A really clean and overpriced Duo Jet with what looks to be sealed Waverly tuners; at least the base plate and keys look like Waverlys. Anyone seen these before? I've never heard of quilted mahogany before tho'.

For cleanest on planet, lots of gold missing from that Burns. This dude is always hi-$ tho.

Looks like a headstock repair as well?

I have a ‘62 Champagne Sparkle Jet. Mine came with open back Waverlys. Just like my entry level B25 and ES120T Gibsons. Replaced all three tuner sets with Shallers. These guitars are players not case queens. I can’t say what the proper tuners are on the Jet. I never personally saw closed back tuners on the ‘61-‘64 double cut jets. I still have the Burns wiggle stick. Graphite lube on the shaft and bushings and it’s fine.

Hope they get that price. 2-3K high. Pics don’t show a headstock repair. That’s a Gibson thing. Zero fret is way rutted. Mine is cleaner. That’s not the best on the planet.

NFI.

A really clean and overpriced Duo Jet with what looks to be sealed Waverly tuners; at least the base plate and keys look like Waverlys. Anyone seen these before? I've never heard of quilted mahogany before tho'.

– lx

I agree, they are Waverlys. And I've seen them before, although I don't recall whether it was on a Gretsch or not. Obviously non-standard, but it would be hard to say for certain that they aren't original.

Register Sign in to join the conversation