Vintage Gretsch Guitars

62 Country Club #470xx Run

Opened up my '62 Country Club last night. It's part of the #470xx run. Just thought I'd share the pot codes, they are 137(CTS) 6228 or the 28 week of 1962. I would expect that the guitar was made awhile after that. The 28th week is the second week of July that year. I have no idea how far in advance Gretsch would order/buy pots from CTS. Maybe Ed can shed some light on the time between pot dates and guitars being built. Thanks!

Pot codes are more reliable to determine production windows in the 50s. In the 60's they bought them in such large quantity that they become less valuable as a data point.

It's too bad we can't figure out when they were built. Does anyone know whatever happened to the shipping logs from Brooklyn? Gibson has a number of these but not consistent as tou each year. would be nice to know if Gretsch had those..

The presumption is that they were lost in the factory fires. Maybe it's not presumption, but known fact. But I don't really know.

It's too bad we can't figure out when they were built. Does anyone know whatever happened to the shipping logs from Brooklyn? Gibson has a number of these but not consistent as tou each year. would be nice to know if Gretsch had those..

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

That's a lot of the mystery with Gretsch; all that valuable info was lost to fire. That is why the Jay Scott book, the first Bacon book (to a slightly lesser degree) and Ed's books are so valuable. We (collectively here) are the ones who are making the discoveries and recreating all that data to the best of our abilities. IIRC we've discovered the 6108 (Sal Junior) and the 6113 (pre-Electrotone Tenny.) Keeping track of all the information that Ed has is a monumental task, having done a tiny bit of it myself. And all those books are under constant revision; we won't know the "complete" Gretsch story until every guitar is accounted for -- and good luck with that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation