Vintage Gretsch Guitars

62 Chet Jet!

NFI.

Just had to post this as they are so rare. Check out the odd knob placement. I'm pretty sure the tuners are covered Waverlys, which would be drop in replacements for the originals. It's also got that bit of mitered body binding next to the heel that Afire mentioned is a '62 Gretsch feature.

The two tone orange looks fantastic. I wonder if the top finish is that cloudy orange I've seen on more than a few '60's 6120s. Did the Chet Jets disappear just as the new 6119s appeared?

What an interesting guitar! I'd love to see a manual explaining all the control settings.

unless Chet had his own functions engineered in, wouldn't those just be repositioned knobs for tone and volume and the standard controls of the time with the bass switch on top and the mute switch down by the tailpiece? it also seems to me that the "two-tone" effect is probably just due to the fact that a transparent finish looks darker on mahogany than on maple. still a neat instrument, though.

Super cool guitar! Clearly the seller has been exposed to my book, as he quotes production history for this example. He should have kept reading, and he would know that the Melita bridge was not original to this model year of 6121.

If only I had a spare $15,000 sitting around.

Super cool guitar! Clearly the seller has been exposed to my book, as he quotes production history for this example. He should have kept reading, and he would know that the Melita bridge was not original to this model year of 6121.

– kc_eddie_b

And what year is it? I always assumed these were made in '61. And the Philips head Bigsby screw seems to suggest that.

According to the handy-dandy decoder ring, these were part of the 475xx batch of 6120s. Double cut Jets came in at the 420xx batch. I think it's safe to say they were a '62 model year.

Actually this one has corroborated one other from the #452xx batch that surfaced recently. These double cutaway 6121s were previously thought (by me) to be isolated to the #475xx group. So that means up to 50 might have been produced instead of the previously assumed 25 units. Please revise your respective “decoder rings”!

The #452xx batch was also the debut for the electrotone (double-cutaway) 6120 design, and I've documented several from that group with pots dated to Feb. 1962. These two facts are what supports my contention that these guitars are 1962 model year examples.

And what year is it? I always assumed these were made in '61. And the Philips head Bigsby screw seems to suggest that.

– Afire

RE: Philips head swivel on B3.... I'm wondering if the fact that the V-style B3 units were used so sparsely compared to the B6 units (applied to 6120, 6119, 6122), that the initial order made in 1961 didn't just last longer for the B3 inventory? Speculation on my part... but plausible.

"So that means up to 50 might have been produced instead of the previously assumed 25 units"

So that half's the price right there,eh!

Seriously cool wee geet that.

RE: Philips head swivel on B3.... I'm wondering if the fact that the V-style B3 units were used so sparsely compared to the B6 units (applied to 6120, 6119, 6122), that the initial order made in 1961 didn't just last longer for the B3 inventory? Speculation on my part... but plausible.

– kc_eddie_b

I didn't think of that. More than plausible, very likely. It was only used on this one low-production model, and custom order Jets. They probably did get used up very slowly. And I don't really know exactly when the switch from Phillips head to bolt happened, but probably not January 1, 1962, so it's not really a precise dating factor anyway.

I didn't think of that. More than plausible, very likely. It was only used on this one low-production model, and custom order Jets. They probably did get used up very slowly. And I don't really know exactly when the switch from Phillips head to bolt happened, but probably not January 1, 1962, so it's not really a precise dating factor anyway.

– Afire

....and when B3s re-emerged in the later 60s, they were gold by then. I wonder if Duke Kramer got a supply of B3s when he bought out all those Gretsch parts after the company ceased operations.

Register Sign in to join the conversation