Vintage Gretsch Guitars

6130 Roundup 1957 knotty pine

It’s a super cool guitar.

the inspectors will point out its obvious, to our GDP consultants , issues and inconsistencies.

Let’s t start with the neck. It’s a 59 or 60 neck with the zero fret.

Wow, look at that thing! I like it !! (no way I can afford it and good to know there are issues, etc., per Fred..but I dig it !!) Paging Mr. Crowbone...Mr. Crowbone...

There's one in the database and another one that I'm aware of that are from the same batch that have features that make considerably more sense. They have all the usual Roundup features, but a humpblock and horseshoe neck typical of 1957. But they have no G brand. I suspect this one is a reneck and probably had the humpblock neck originally. I would also suspect the pickguard and bridge are also replacements. Bigsby is not original, as acknowledged in the ad. You'd have to wonder if that tortoise ring around the switch is hiding something.
It's also surprising to see a knotty pine top this late. I think of that as being something associated with only the early batches of the original '54-'55 run. It kind of seems like these later Roundups were an exercise in using up leftover bodies.

What Afire said. This is from the last batch of Round-Ups according to Ed and some of these would have filters and humpblocks and a few with neo-classics. The early part of the 234xx batch was for Round-Ups and the latter half were for 6120s and Chet Jets.

The guitar in the opening post is #23414... Here's a photo of the guitar that presumably came off the production line right before it (#23413). You'll note it too has neoclassic markers HOWEVER does not have the zero fret. It also, obviously has Filtertron pickups. I've documented one other with a slightly later serial number (still from the first half of the #234xx batch) that shares these specs. These are the latest "RoundUps" I've encountered.

Id be interested in knowing how to tell its a re-neck from the pictures and not a replacement fretboard? For sure Gretsch replaced necks on these but did they ever just replace fingerboards? It would be way easier and cheaper….. Is there a tell-tale sign you are looking for other than fingerboard?

IE up to 56, you could check the truss rod style. Also the headstock width was about 3/8" wider at the bottom of the headstock wings then later models. Just looking at the headstock would be hard to judge a 54-56 from a 57-60..

Id be interested in knowing how to tell its a re-neck from the pictures and not a replacement fretboard? For sure Gretsch replaced necks on these but did they ever just replace fingerboards? It would be way easier and cheaper….. Is there a tell-tale sign you are looking for other than fingerboard?

IE up to 56, you could check the truss rod style. Also the headstock width was about 3/8" wider at the bottom of the headstock wings then later models. Just looking at the headstock would be hard to judge a 54-56 from a 57-60..

– Joe Desperado

Joe... ‘54-56 headstock would be steers-head inlay, with ‘57 being horseshoe.

Joe... ‘54-56 headstock would be steers-head inlay, with ‘57 being horseshoe.

– kc_eddie_b

That would probably a good indicator for the 54-56.

The '54-6ish have 5 pieces of binding on the headstock for the pointier lower headstock wings, while the '56-7 and later have 3 pieces and the lower part of the headstock wings are curvier. The tops on all Jets are made from veneers.

Love the guitar as I really dig the western stuff but that G looks pretty wack compared to most I’ve seen like this ‘55 on fleabay.

Below is an update from the seller for those interested :

"We spoke at length to respected Sydney luthier Piers Crocker who knows this particular instrument very well. He believes the body is from earlier than 1957, and may have been unfinished until a few years later when it inherited a new neck without the western motifs, but with the half moon inlays that became a feature of all Gretsches post 1957.

He also affirms that the “G” logo was hand painted, but is definitely under the original Gretsch factory lacquer finish which is intact."

https://www.premierguitars....

Register Sign in to join the conversation