Vintage Gretsch Guitars

6119 a student model?

Do you consider the 60s Hilotron variant of the Tennessean a student model? I see it referred to as such on various forums/articles. But wouldn't that make anything lesser a student model as well? For example I never considered the Anniversary a student model, but I believe those would be cheaper. IMO the Gretsch student model would be something like the Corvette. Thoughts?

This can also include the modern 6119s. I have a hard time considering those "student" models either.

Do you consider the 60s Hilotron variant of the Tennessean a student model? I see it referred to as such on various forums/articles. But wouldn't that make anything lesser a student model as well? For example I never considered the Anniversary a student model, but I believe those would be cheaper. IMO the Gretsch student model would be something like the Corvette. Thoughts?

This can also include the modern 6119s. I have a hard time considering those "student" models either.

– captainvideo

No, not a student model. That was debunked decades ago on TGP. If I recall, George using it at Shea was the #1 reason it hadn’t been considered a student model as far as public opinion about the Hilo Tenny.

I agree. Too nicely appointed to be a student model. I'd be more inclined to put the Clipper and maybe Corvette in that category. But by the time the Corvette has two pickups and a vibrato, I'd have a hard time categorizing it as a student model either.

Yes, I don't think any Chet endorsed guitars were marketed as student. Maybe just sniffy pickup dudes who don't like Hi LoTrons have ideas like that -- not sure. But yes, on pickup Vettes and Clippers would be closer to that description.

I always thought of the original 6119 as Gretsch's Chet Atkins equivalent of Gibson's Les Paul Junior: Stripped down, single pickup. It was cheaper and most would appeal to those with less cash (students, per se).

With the advent of the HiLotron, it became a two pickup model and an entirely different beast.

I think Tennesseans mostly command more money due to Beatles associations. Otherwise, as instruments, they are pretty well on par with similar year double anniversaries.

both Tennesseans and anniversaries started off as single pickup filtertron guitars. I would've liked it if they kept that excellent red finish for the Tennessean but otherwise like the evolution.

"Entry level" would be a better description due to the amount/lack of features. "Student guitars" are what you found at Sears or Monkey Wards.

I think Tennesseans mostly command more money due to Beatles associations. Otherwise, as instruments, they are pretty well on par with similar year double anniversaries.

both Tennesseans and anniversaries started off as single pickup filtertron guitars. I would've liked it if they kept that excellent red finish for the Tennessean but otherwise like the evolution.

– Toxophilite

So that means the the original Filter Annie of 2 or 3 years ... the single and double pickup ones weren't introduced at same time. Those early ones a a good value in a well made guitar.

Technically you're correct DC... in that the first 2 or 3 batches of Annies don't seem to have many (any?) 6117 or 6118 (2 pu) examples, but by batch #289xx, the forth of the 1958 model year, the double pu models were common. Bottom line is that both single and double filtertron Annie models were produced in the debut model year of 1958.

Register Sign in to join the conversation